Sep 14, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
During his ESPN.com chat today Joe Morgan was asked to comment about the ongoing debate surrounding Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia, the Cy Young award, and the importance of win-loss records.
His response was exactly what you’d expect from Joe Morgan, to the point that it almost reads like parody:
I think it’s a joke to have that kind of debate. What Sabathia has done is be the best pitcher in the AL from opening day to this point. I don’t buy into the point that if Felix is pitching for someone else he’d have more wins. They said that about Cliff Lee when he left Seattle, but he’s lost more than he’s won since he left Seattle. The name of the game is to win and he’s won. And if you’re looking at a second guy, it has to be David Price. It’s amazing to me that we have let computers define him rather than performance. His job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings. I don’t think there should be a debate between Felix and Sabathia.
That includes non-sequiturs, leaps in logic, the bashing of things he doesn’t understand, and some amusing anti-computer rhetoric. My favorite part is the “his job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings” comment, because, you know, Felix Hernandez leads the league in innings pitched. And in ERA. And in Quality Starts, strikeouts, and batters faced.
My hope is that enough logical evidence has been presented here and elsewhere to convince most rational people that wins are a terrible way to determine “best pitcher” and Hernandez has been better than Sabathia at things he actually controls. However, for anyone still on the fence about the whole thing simply wanting to be on the side opposite Joe Morgan should be enough to sway you.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (234)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)