Sep 14, 2010, 4:48 PM EDT
During his ESPN.com chat today Joe Morgan was asked to comment about the ongoing debate surrounding Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia, the Cy Young award, and the importance of win-loss records.
His response was exactly what you’d expect from Joe Morgan, to the point that it almost reads like parody:
I think it’s a joke to have that kind of debate. What Sabathia has done is be the best pitcher in the AL from opening day to this point. I don’t buy into the point that if Felix is pitching for someone else he’d have more wins. They said that about Cliff Lee when he left Seattle, but he’s lost more than he’s won since he left Seattle. The name of the game is to win and he’s won. And if you’re looking at a second guy, it has to be David Price. It’s amazing to me that we have let computers define him rather than performance. His job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings. I don’t think there should be a debate between Felix and Sabathia.
That includes non-sequiturs, leaps in logic, the bashing of things he doesn’t understand, and some amusing anti-computer rhetoric. My favorite part is the “his job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings” comment, because, you know, Felix Hernandez leads the league in innings pitched. And in ERA. And in Quality Starts, strikeouts, and batters faced.
My hope is that enough logical evidence has been presented here and elsewhere to convince most rational people that wins are a terrible way to determine “best pitcher” and Hernandez has been better than Sabathia at things he actually controls. However, for anyone still on the fence about the whole thing simply wanting to be on the side opposite Joe Morgan should be enough to sway you.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)