Sep 14, 2010, 4:48 PM EST
During his ESPN.com chat today Joe Morgan was asked to comment about the ongoing debate surrounding Felix Hernandez, CC Sabathia, the Cy Young award, and the importance of win-loss records.
His response was exactly what you’d expect from Joe Morgan, to the point that it almost reads like parody:
I think it’s a joke to have that kind of debate. What Sabathia has done is be the best pitcher in the AL from opening day to this point. I don’t buy into the point that if Felix is pitching for someone else he’d have more wins. They said that about Cliff Lee when he left Seattle, but he’s lost more than he’s won since he left Seattle. The name of the game is to win and he’s won. And if you’re looking at a second guy, it has to be David Price. It’s amazing to me that we have let computers define him rather than performance. His job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings. I don’t think there should be a debate between Felix and Sabathia.
That includes non-sequiturs, leaps in logic, the bashing of things he doesn’t understand, and some amusing anti-computer rhetoric. My favorite part is the “his job is to win the game, not just pitch 5-6 innings” comment, because, you know, Felix Hernandez leads the league in innings pitched. And in ERA. And in Quality Starts, strikeouts, and batters faced.
My hope is that enough logical evidence has been presented here and elsewhere to convince most rational people that wins are a terrible way to determine “best pitcher” and Hernandez has been better than Sabathia at things he actually controls. However, for anyone still on the fence about the whole thing simply wanting to be on the side opposite Joe Morgan should be enough to sway you.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)