Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez’s girlfriend was granted an order of protection after K-Rod and her father fought at Citi Field. The thing about orders of protection: they’re designed to keep the subject of the order (K-Rod) from contacting the person in whose favor the order was granted (girlfriend; father-in-law). K-Rod, it seems wasn’t clear on that:
closer Francisco Rodriguez faces more charges after contacting his
girlfriend who was under an order of protection, prosecutors said this
K-Rod sent Daian Pena 56 text messages even though he
was not supposed to contact her, Assistant Queens District Attorney
Scott Kessler said in a court hearing.
I’m just trying to imagine the conversation between K-Rod and his lawyer right after he became aware of the additional charges.
Lawyer: Jesus, Frankie! What were you thinking?
K-Rod: Texting isn’t contact, right? I couldn’t even see her because the camera on my iPhone sucks.
Lawyer: No, this is bad. You shouldn’t have contacted her. I gotta think of a way to fix this. OK, you were depressed that night, right? Moment of weakness?
K-Rod: Yeah, totally. Every time.
Lawyer: Every time?! How many times did you text her?
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk]
K-Rod: You OK?
Lawyer: Yeah, fine. OK. These texts. You were just telling her that you love her and that you’re sorry, right?
Lawyer: Maybe I can work with that . . .
K-Rod: Apart from that one where I talked smack about her parents manipulating her and stuff, implicitly hoping that she’d reject their side of the story and come back to me prior to the legal proceedings in which her testimony could conceivably lead to my conviction, sure. [note: paraphrased]
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk. Reaches for flask. Realizes flask is empty. Bangs head on desk again. Thinks again about the choice not to go to dentistry school]
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 14
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 54
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 52
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)