Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Francisco Rodriguez’s girlfriend was granted an order of protection after K-Rod and her father fought at Citi Field. The thing about orders of protection: they’re designed to keep the subject of the order (K-Rod) from contacting the person in whose favor the order was granted (girlfriend; father-in-law). K-Rod, it seems wasn’t clear on that:
closer Francisco Rodriguez faces more charges after contacting his
girlfriend who was under an order of protection, prosecutors said this
K-Rod sent Daian Pena 56 text messages even though he
was not supposed to contact her, Assistant Queens District Attorney
Scott Kessler said in a court hearing.
I’m just trying to imagine the conversation between K-Rod and his lawyer right after he became aware of the additional charges.
Lawyer: Jesus, Frankie! What were you thinking?
K-Rod: Texting isn’t contact, right? I couldn’t even see her because the camera on my iPhone sucks.
Lawyer: No, this is bad. You shouldn’t have contacted her. I gotta think of a way to fix this. OK, you were depressed that night, right? Moment of weakness?
K-Rod: Yeah, totally. Every time.
Lawyer: Every time?! How many times did you text her?
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk]
K-Rod: You OK?
Lawyer: Yeah, fine. OK. These texts. You were just telling her that you love her and that you’re sorry, right?
Lawyer: Maybe I can work with that . . .
K-Rod: Apart from that one where I talked smack about her parents manipulating her and stuff, implicitly hoping that she’d reject their side of the story and come back to me prior to the legal proceedings in which her testimony could conceivably lead to my conviction, sure. [note: paraphrased]
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk. Reaches for flask. Realizes flask is empty. Bangs head on desk again. Thinks again about the choice not to go to dentistry school]
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)