Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EST
Francisco Rodriguez’s girlfriend was granted an order of protection after K-Rod and her father fought at Citi Field. The thing about orders of protection: they’re designed to keep the subject of the order (K-Rod) from contacting the person in whose favor the order was granted (girlfriend; father-in-law). K-Rod, it seems wasn’t clear on that:
closer Francisco Rodriguez faces more charges after contacting his
girlfriend who was under an order of protection, prosecutors said this
K-Rod sent Daian Pena 56 text messages even though he
was not supposed to contact her, Assistant Queens District Attorney
Scott Kessler said in a court hearing.
I’m just trying to imagine the conversation between K-Rod and his lawyer right after he became aware of the additional charges.
Lawyer: Jesus, Frankie! What were you thinking?
K-Rod: Texting isn’t contact, right? I couldn’t even see her because the camera on my iPhone sucks.
Lawyer: No, this is bad. You shouldn’t have contacted her. I gotta think of a way to fix this. OK, you were depressed that night, right? Moment of weakness?
K-Rod: Yeah, totally. Every time.
Lawyer: Every time?! How many times did you text her?
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk]
K-Rod: You OK?
Lawyer: Yeah, fine. OK. These texts. You were just telling her that you love her and that you’re sorry, right?
Lawyer: Maybe I can work with that . . .
K-Rod: Apart from that one where I talked smack about her parents manipulating her and stuff, implicitly hoping that she’d reject their side of the story and come back to me prior to the legal proceedings in which her testimony could conceivably lead to my conviction, sure. [note: paraphrased]
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk. Reaches for flask. Realizes flask is empty. Bangs head on desk again. Thinks again about the choice not to go to dentistry school]
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 37
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 83
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 36
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (94)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)