Sep 14, 2010, 11:30 AM EDT
Francisco Rodriguez’s girlfriend was granted an order of protection after K-Rod and her father fought at Citi Field. The thing about orders of protection: they’re designed to keep the subject of the order (K-Rod) from contacting the person in whose favor the order was granted (girlfriend; father-in-law). K-Rod, it seems wasn’t clear on that:
closer Francisco Rodriguez faces more charges after contacting his
girlfriend who was under an order of protection, prosecutors said this
K-Rod sent Daian Pena 56 text messages even though he
was not supposed to contact her, Assistant Queens District Attorney
Scott Kessler said in a court hearing.
I’m just trying to imagine the conversation between K-Rod and his lawyer right after he became aware of the additional charges.
Lawyer: Jesus, Frankie! What were you thinking?
K-Rod: Texting isn’t contact, right? I couldn’t even see her because the camera on my iPhone sucks.
Lawyer: No, this is bad. You shouldn’t have contacted her. I gotta think of a way to fix this. OK, you were depressed that night, right? Moment of weakness?
K-Rod: Yeah, totally. Every time.
Lawyer: Every time?! How many times did you text her?
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk]
K-Rod: You OK?
Lawyer: Yeah, fine. OK. These texts. You were just telling her that you love her and that you’re sorry, right?
Lawyer: Maybe I can work with that . . .
K-Rod: Apart from that one where I talked smack about her parents manipulating her and stuff, implicitly hoping that she’d reject their side of the story and come back to me prior to the legal proceedings in which her testimony could conceivably lead to my conviction, sure. [note: paraphrased]
Lawyer: [Bangs head on desk. Reaches for flask. Realizes flask is empty. Bangs head on desk again. Thinks again about the choice not to go to dentistry school]
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)