Sep 14, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Mark Teixeira revealed to the New York Post that he’s been playing with a broken pinkie toe on his right foot, the result of a HBP from Oakland’s Vin Mazzaro on Aug. 31.
“Every step I take it stings,” Teixeira told the paper. “It’s worse on defense because I have to move side to side and shuffle.”
Teixeira has slumped while playing with the injury. He hit .289/.355/.629 with nine homers in August, but through 12 games in September, he’s at .209/.370/.256. He has just two extra-base hits in 43 at-bats, both of them doubles.
“I can’t work out a lot, I am taking less ground balls and less swings in the cage,” he explained.
If Teixeira continues to struggle with the pain, he could start alternating off days with Alex Rodriguez down the stretch.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)