Sep 14, 2010, 6:50 PM EST
Mark Teixeira revealed to the New York Post that he’s been playing with a broken pinkie toe on his right foot, the result of a HBP from Oakland’s Vin Mazzaro on Aug. 31.
“Every step I take it stings,” Teixeira told the paper. “It’s worse on defense because I have to move side to side and shuffle.”
Teixeira has slumped while playing with the injury. He hit .289/.355/.629 with nine homers in August, but through 12 games in September, he’s at .209/.370/.256. He has just two extra-base hits in 43 at-bats, both of them doubles.
“I can’t work out a lot, I am taking less ground balls and less swings in the cage,” he explained.
If Teixeira continues to struggle with the pain, he could start alternating off days with Alex Rodriguez down the stretch.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)