Sep 14, 2010, 5:57 PM EDT
Nick Swisher played through some knee pain, but it didn’t get better, so he had an MRI on it today. The MRI revealed inflammation, thankfully, and no
structural damage.That doesn’t make it hurt any less, however, so he got a cortisone shot. Joe Girardi just told the sporting press that Swisher is out until at least Friday.
Query: how many people who complain about the Yankees payroll and all of that stuff during the hot stove season will remember this part of the year, when an aging and increasingly fragile Yankees team is struggling mightily to keep the ship afloat? My guess is damn few will, and we’ll hear more about how they need to realign the divisions and call off the season and everything simply because New York has signed an expensive player or two.
Money is an advantage. But it’s one that mostly buys older players, and older players get hurt and get tired. They still gotta play ballgames.
- Carlos Gomez diagnosed with sprained wrist 3
- Michael Wacha to start Thursday for the Cardinals 4
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 37
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 48
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (76)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)