Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Nick Swisher appeared as a pinch-hitter last night after an MRI exam showed merely inflammation in his sore left knee, but was clearly at significantly less than full strength while limping to first base on a ground out.
After the game he described it as “dragging around my left leg” and noted that “it’s starting to affect a lot of other things, my hips, my shoulders, the way I’m throwing the ball.” He’s slated to undergo a second MRI exam today and Swisher indicated to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he expects the results to show something beyond inflammation:
We took the MRI before and it said that there was nothing, but I found that really, really hard to believe. We’ll go in there tomorrow and whatever happens, just take it head on. It’s been going like this for a week, man. As much as you want to be out there and be playing, on one leg ain’t exactly the way I want to be going out there. … If we get this MRI and they say, “Take a week off,” I want to get healthy.
Swisher originally suffered the injury last month when he fouled a ball off his left knee, but has remained remarkably productive since then while hitting .255/.327/.574 with four homers, three doubles, and 12 RBIs in 14 games.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 29
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)