Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Nick Swisher appeared as a pinch-hitter last night after an MRI exam showed merely inflammation in his sore left knee, but was clearly at significantly less than full strength while limping to first base on a ground out.
After the game he described it as “dragging around my left leg” and noted that “it’s starting to affect a lot of other things, my hips, my shoulders, the way I’m throwing the ball.” He’s slated to undergo a second MRI exam today and Swisher indicated to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he expects the results to show something beyond inflammation:
We took the MRI before and it said that there was nothing, but I found that really, really hard to believe. We’ll go in there tomorrow and whatever happens, just take it head on. It’s been going like this for a week, man. As much as you want to be out there and be playing, on one leg ain’t exactly the way I want to be going out there. … If we get this MRI and they say, “Take a week off,” I want to get healthy.
Swisher originally suffered the injury last month when he fouled a ball off his left knee, but has remained remarkably productive since then while hitting .255/.327/.574 with four homers, three doubles, and 12 RBIs in 14 games.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 7
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 10
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 11
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 35
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 73
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 76
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)