Sep 14, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
Nick Swisher appeared as a pinch-hitter last night after an MRI exam showed merely inflammation in his sore left knee, but was clearly at significantly less than full strength while limping to first base on a ground out.
After the game he described it as “dragging around my left leg” and noted that “it’s starting to affect a lot of other things, my hips, my shoulders, the way I’m throwing the ball.” He’s slated to undergo a second MRI exam today and Swisher indicated to Marc Carig of the Newark Star Ledger that he expects the results to show something beyond inflammation:
We took the MRI before and it said that there was nothing, but I found that really, really hard to believe. We’ll go in there tomorrow and whatever happens, just take it head on. It’s been going like this for a week, man. As much as you want to be out there and be playing, on one leg ain’t exactly the way I want to be going out there. … If we get this MRI and they say, “Take a week off,” I want to get healthy.
Swisher originally suffered the injury last month when he fouled a ball off his left knee, but has remained remarkably productive since then while hitting .255/.327/.574 with four homers, three doubles, and 12 RBIs in 14 games.
- Josh Hamilton declares himself ready for the ALDS 3
- Wild Card Game: A’s vs. Royals lineups 14
- Pouliot’s 2014 National League awards picks 20
- HBT Daily: A’s vs. Royals. Jon Lester vs. Big Game James. WHO YA GOT?! 12
- Playoff Reset: The American League Wild Card Game 21
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 24
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 37
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 20
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)