Sep 14, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
FanHouse’s Ed Price reports one thing we knew — Omar Minaya is on his way out — and one thing we didn’t — the Mets would rather hire an “experienced GM” than promote assistant GM John Ricco.
This surprises me somewhat because I had assumed that the Wilpons would want someone from inside, whom they’ve known and controlled to some degree for a while. That’s Ricco who — whatever his merits as an executive — is certainly more of a creature of the Wilpons than an outside candidate would be.
So what “experienced GMs” are floating around out there? Kevin Towers has been discussed by many, but he’s been linked with the Diamondbacks. Some have suggested Jon Daniels, who is from New York and who can opt-out of his Rangers deal due to the ownership change, but he has also said that he’d like to stay in Texas. And it would certainly seem like a better situation for him, competitively speaking.
I’m sort of blanking on available, experienced baseball GMs right now. Most candidates these days are assistants. At least any who are considered hot candidates, as opposed to folks who’ve been out of the top spot for a while.
The best I could think of right now — and it would actually be a great pick — is Paul DePodesta. Any others?
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)