Sep 14, 2010, 3:03 PM EDT
FanHouse’s Ed Price reports one thing we knew — Omar Minaya is on his way out — and one thing we didn’t — the Mets would rather hire an “experienced GM” than promote assistant GM John Ricco.
This surprises me somewhat because I had assumed that the Wilpons would want someone from inside, whom they’ve known and controlled to some degree for a while. That’s Ricco who — whatever his merits as an executive — is certainly more of a creature of the Wilpons than an outside candidate would be.
So what “experienced GMs” are floating around out there? Kevin Towers has been discussed by many, but he’s been linked with the Diamondbacks. Some have suggested Jon Daniels, who is from New York and who can opt-out of his Rangers deal due to the ownership change, but he has also said that he’d like to stay in Texas. And it would certainly seem like a better situation for him, competitively speaking.
I’m sort of blanking on available, experienced baseball GMs right now. Most candidates these days are assistants. At least any who are considered hot candidates, as opposed to folks who’ve been out of the top spot for a while.
The best I could think of right now — and it would actually be a great pick — is Paul DePodesta. Any others?
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 9
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (110)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (86)