Sep 14, 2010, 3:03 PM EST
FanHouse’s Ed Price reports one thing we knew — Omar Minaya is on his way out — and one thing we didn’t — the Mets would rather hire an “experienced GM” than promote assistant GM John Ricco.
This surprises me somewhat because I had assumed that the Wilpons would want someone from inside, whom they’ve known and controlled to some degree for a while. That’s Ricco who — whatever his merits as an executive — is certainly more of a creature of the Wilpons than an outside candidate would be.
So what “experienced GMs” are floating around out there? Kevin Towers has been discussed by many, but he’s been linked with the Diamondbacks. Some have suggested Jon Daniels, who is from New York and who can opt-out of his Rangers deal due to the ownership change, but he has also said that he’d like to stay in Texas. And it would certainly seem like a better situation for him, competitively speaking.
I’m sort of blanking on available, experienced baseball GMs right now. Most candidates these days are assistants. At least any who are considered hot candidates, as opposed to folks who’ve been out of the top spot for a while.
The best I could think of right now — and it would actually be a great pick — is Paul DePodesta. Any others?
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)