Sep 14, 2010, 2:04 PM EST
There was a lot of harrumphing last night as Joe Girardi used the bullpen’s second string in extra innings against the Rays. That harrumphing led to claims this morning that the Yankees really don’t care about the division and are just playing for the wild card. I kind of doubt that they’re actually planning on that — baseball teams are always trying to win — it just may be that health and fatigue concerns are making such a course the likely one.
Latest example: A-Rod, who was gimpy on the basepaths last night. Buster Olney suspects that this will lead to a lot of days off for him down the stretch. May be the same for Nick Swisher, actually, as he looked practically crippled trying to run out a ground ball. He’s having an MRI today.
The Yankees aren’t young. And they haven’t been terribly healthy this year. They are still talented, of course, and will likely prove dangerous in the postseason. But only if they can get back into better shape. Doing things like resting the stars and spelling the pen when necessary will help them do that.
And if it forces them to the wild card, well, so be it. And that’s even if the tabloids go crazy.
- Grant Balfour may file a grievance over Orioles’ decision to back out of contract 18
- Former Major Leaguer Gabe Kapler wants collisions to remain part of the game 27
- Carlos Beltran introduced by the Yankees, takes a shot at the Mets 29
- The Grant Balfour-Orioles deal is dead 25
- Kevin Youkilis is going to play in Japan 30
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- I don’t know what the best baseball song is, but it ain’t John freakin’ Fogerty (101)
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! (89)
- ‘Tis the season for people acting incredibly dumb (74)
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts (74)