Sep 14, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
We occasionally get a cool nickname these days, but it’s rare. Mostly we get lame variations of the A-Rod thing, which is a concept I had thought reached its nadir with the ironic “Man-Ram” but came roaring back to life with the non-ironic “Car-Go.” Oy.
But there used to be a time when you could call guys “Dummy” and “Three-Finger” and “Fatty” and “Turkey” without fear of being called insensitive by the nickname police. Which, now that I think about it, wasn’t very nice and probably caused guys to have self-esteem problems they masked with strong liquor and phony, self-destructive machismo. But dadgummit, the names looked great in the paper!
Mental Floss has a number of great baseball nicknames today, complete with origin story. I highly recommend it. And how can you pass up a recommendation from a fella some people call Shyster?
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)