Sep 14, 2010, 3:35 PM EDT
We occasionally get a cool nickname these days, but it’s rare. Mostly we get lame variations of the A-Rod thing, which is a concept I had thought reached its nadir with the ironic “Man-Ram” but came roaring back to life with the non-ironic “Car-Go.” Oy.
But there used to be a time when you could call guys “Dummy” and “Three-Finger” and “Fatty” and “Turkey” without fear of being called insensitive by the nickname police. Which, now that I think about it, wasn’t very nice and probably caused guys to have self-esteem problems they masked with strong liquor and phony, self-destructive machismo. But dadgummit, the names looked great in the paper!
Mental Floss has a number of great baseball nicknames today, complete with origin story. I highly recommend it. And how can you pass up a recommendation from a fella some people call Shyster?
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 3
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 16
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 2
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 127
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 10
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (127)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)