Sep 15, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Michael Young has played 10 seasons in the majors, accumulating 6,632 plate appearances in 1,492 games for the Rangers while making six All-Star teams, winning a batting title, and hitting .301/.348/.450 with 1,832 hits.
And next month he’ll play in a postseason game for the first time.
In terms of career games without a playoff appearance Young has the second-longest drought among active players, with his 1,492 games (and counting) trailing only Randy Winn at 1,704. By signing with the Yankees this offseason Winn seemed likely to break his playoff-less streak and even after being released he kept the postseason hopes alive by joining the Cardinals, but St. Louis’ second-half struggleds once again leave him home for October.
Aubrey Huff has the third-longest playoff drought at 1,462 games and has a strong chance to make the postseason with the Giants, while Mike Sweeney will probably snap his 1,450-game drought thanks to joining the Phillies as a bench bat last month. For now, here are the longest active streaks:
Randy Winn 1704 Michael Young 1492 Aubrey Huff 1462 Mike Sweeney 1450 Adam Dunn 1433 Vernon Wells 1377 Jack Wilson 1251 Brian Roberts 1183 Felipe Lopez 1131 Lyle Overbay 1122
Ernie Banks holds the all-time record with 2,528 career games and no playoff appearances.
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 16
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 24
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 37
- Brian Cashman calls out Yankees hitting coach Kevin Long 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 84
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL