Sep 15, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Michael Young has played 10 seasons in the majors, accumulating 6,632 plate appearances in 1,492 games for the Rangers while making six All-Star teams, winning a batting title, and hitting .301/.348/.450 with 1,832 hits.
And next month he’ll play in a postseason game for the first time.
In terms of career games without a playoff appearance Young has the second-longest drought among active players, with his 1,492 games (and counting) trailing only Randy Winn at 1,704. By signing with the Yankees this offseason Winn seemed likely to break his playoff-less streak and even after being released he kept the postseason hopes alive by joining the Cardinals, but St. Louis’ second-half struggleds once again leave him home for October.
Aubrey Huff has the third-longest playoff drought at 1,462 games and has a strong chance to make the postseason with the Giants, while Mike Sweeney will probably snap his 1,450-game drought thanks to joining the Phillies as a bench bat last month. For now, here are the longest active streaks:
Randy Winn 1704 Michael Young 1492 Aubrey Huff 1462 Mike Sweeney 1450 Adam Dunn 1433 Vernon Wells 1377 Jack Wilson 1251 Brian Roberts 1183 Felipe Lopez 1131 Lyle Overbay 1122
Ernie Banks holds the all-time record with 2,528 career games and no playoff appearances.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)