Sep 15, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Michael Young has played 10 seasons in the majors, accumulating 6,632 plate appearances in 1,492 games for the Rangers while making six All-Star teams, winning a batting title, and hitting .301/.348/.450 with 1,832 hits.
And next month he’ll play in a postseason game for the first time.
In terms of career games without a playoff appearance Young has the second-longest drought among active players, with his 1,492 games (and counting) trailing only Randy Winn at 1,704. By signing with the Yankees this offseason Winn seemed likely to break his playoff-less streak and even after being released he kept the postseason hopes alive by joining the Cardinals, but St. Louis’ second-half struggleds once again leave him home for October.
Aubrey Huff has the third-longest playoff drought at 1,462 games and has a strong chance to make the postseason with the Giants, while Mike Sweeney will probably snap his 1,450-game drought thanks to joining the Phillies as a bench bat last month. For now, here are the longest active streaks:
Randy Winn 1704 Michael Young 1492 Aubrey Huff 1462 Mike Sweeney 1450 Adam Dunn 1433 Vernon Wells 1377 Jack Wilson 1251 Brian Roberts 1183 Felipe Lopez 1131 Lyle Overbay 1122
Ernie Banks holds the all-time record with 2,528 career games and no playoff appearances.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 102
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 19
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 9
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (102)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)