Sep 15, 2010, 6:42 PM EST
UPDATE: According to FOX Sports Midwest, Garcia may have talked his way out of being shut down. The Cardinals are going to skip him this week and then reevaluate the situation.
5:15 PM: Jaime Garcia was limited to just 37.2 innings in the minors last season after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, so with 163.1 innings already under his belt this season the Cardinals have decided to cap the 23-year-old rookie’s workload.
Garcia has been fantastic, going 13-8 with a 2.70 ERA and 132/64 K/BB ratio in 28 outings after winning the fifth-starter battle during spring training, but he’d never thrown more than 155 innings in a pro season before and with the Cardinals all but out of playoff contention his remaining 3-4 starts probably aren’t worth piling onto the career-high workload any further.
Losing out on a couple more wins may hurt Garcia’s chances of getting Rookie of the Year votes, but he was far from a sure thing to come away with the award in a season full of strong rookie position player performers and instead shuts things down with the sixth-best ERA in the league.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 329
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (330)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)