Sep 15, 2010, 6:42 PM EST
UPDATE: According to FOX Sports Midwest, Garcia may have talked his way out of being shut down. The Cardinals are going to skip him this week and then reevaluate the situation.
5:15 PM: Jaime Garcia was limited to just 37.2 innings in the minors last season after coming back from Tommy John elbow surgery, so with 163.1 innings already under his belt this season the Cardinals have decided to cap the 23-year-old rookie’s workload.
Garcia has been fantastic, going 13-8 with a 2.70 ERA and 132/64 K/BB ratio in 28 outings after winning the fifth-starter battle during spring training, but he’d never thrown more than 155 innings in a pro season before and with the Cardinals all but out of playoff contention his remaining 3-4 starts probably aren’t worth piling onto the career-high workload any further.
Losing out on a couple more wins may hurt Garcia’s chances of getting Rookie of the Year votes, but he was far from a sure thing to come away with the award in a season full of strong rookie position player performers and instead shuts things down with the sixth-best ERA in the league.
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)