Sep 15, 2010, 11:49 AM EDT
Cole Hamels turned in another brilliant start last night, racking up a season-high 13 strikeouts while holding the Marlins to one run in 6.1 innings for his fourth straight victory.
Even with the winning streak Hamels’ win-loss record stands at just 11-10, but that vastly understates how fantastic he’s been all season and how dominant he’s been since the All-Star break. In fact, among pitchers with at least 10 starts in the second half his 1.96 ERA leads the NL and only Felix Hernandez at 1.64 has a lower mark in the AL.
He’s only 4-3 during that time, but the lack of wins is hardly Hamels’ fault. In the second half alone he’s lost twice while allowing just one run and also has four no-decisions in Quality Starts. With some decent support from the lineup and bullpen he could easily be something like 8-1 with a 1.96 ERA, .200 opponents’ batting average, and 94/17 K/BB ratio in 84.2 innings spread over 12 starts since the break.
And come playoff time he’ll be the Phillies’ third starter.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)