Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM EST
It’s been several days since Nyjer Morgan’s appeal of his multiple suspensions was heard. Still no word, though. Normally we hear appeal decisions almost immediately after the appeal.
My pet theory, based on nothing more than “gee, wouldn’t that be funny” speculation: Major League Baseball is waiting to announce Morgan’s suspension until its length coincides exactly with the number of Nats games remaining. To do so would make things way less messy for everyone. Morgan can just leave and the Nats can just be done with him.
His suspension was originally 15 days. Though it often happens, there’s no law of nature which holds that appealed suspensions must be reduced. Hell, Morgan’s appeal lasted four hours! Odds are good that he said a few things that day that bought him some more time in the doghouse!
Anyway, the Nats have 17 games left. How funny would it be if Morgan’s 15-game suspension was affirmed on Friday night, just after the Nats-Phillies game — game 147 — ended?
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)