Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
It’s been several days since Nyjer Morgan’s appeal of his multiple suspensions was heard. Still no word, though. Normally we hear appeal decisions almost immediately after the appeal.
My pet theory, based on nothing more than “gee, wouldn’t that be funny” speculation: Major League Baseball is waiting to announce Morgan’s suspension until its length coincides exactly with the number of Nats games remaining. To do so would make things way less messy for everyone. Morgan can just leave and the Nats can just be done with him.
His suspension was originally 15 days. Though it often happens, there’s no law of nature which holds that appealed suspensions must be reduced. Hell, Morgan’s appeal lasted four hours! Odds are good that he said a few things that day that bought him some more time in the doghouse!
Anyway, the Nats have 17 games left. How funny would it be if Morgan’s 15-game suspension was affirmed on Friday night, just after the Nats-Phillies game — game 147 — ended?
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 4
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 11
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (87)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (75)