Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
It’s been several days since Nyjer Morgan’s appeal of his multiple suspensions was heard. Still no word, though. Normally we hear appeal decisions almost immediately after the appeal.
My pet theory, based on nothing more than “gee, wouldn’t that be funny” speculation: Major League Baseball is waiting to announce Morgan’s suspension until its length coincides exactly with the number of Nats games remaining. To do so would make things way less messy for everyone. Morgan can just leave and the Nats can just be done with him.
His suspension was originally 15 days. Though it often happens, there’s no law of nature which holds that appealed suspensions must be reduced. Hell, Morgan’s appeal lasted four hours! Odds are good that he said a few things that day that bought him some more time in the doghouse!
Anyway, the Nats have 17 games left. How funny would it be if Morgan’s 15-game suspension was affirmed on Friday night, just after the Nats-Phillies game — game 147 — ended?
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 45
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 121
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 86
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (202)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (123)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (122)