Sep 15, 2010, 12:34 PM EDT
It’s been several days since Nyjer Morgan’s appeal of his multiple suspensions was heard. Still no word, though. Normally we hear appeal decisions almost immediately after the appeal.
My pet theory, based on nothing more than “gee, wouldn’t that be funny” speculation: Major League Baseball is waiting to announce Morgan’s suspension until its length coincides exactly with the number of Nats games remaining. To do so would make things way less messy for everyone. Morgan can just leave and the Nats can just be done with him.
His suspension was originally 15 days. Though it often happens, there’s no law of nature which holds that appealed suspensions must be reduced. Hell, Morgan’s appeal lasted four hours! Odds are good that he said a few things that day that bought him some more time in the doghouse!
Anyway, the Nats have 17 games left. How funny would it be if Morgan’s 15-game suspension was affirmed on Friday night, just after the Nats-Phillies game — game 147 — ended?
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 0
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 43
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)