Did you get your Roy Halladay perfect game tickets?

Sep 15, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT

Remember how the Marlins planned to cynically capitalize on Roy Halladay’s perfect game by printing up and selling tickets to the thing after it happened?  Well, they went ahead and did it, and according to Joe Capozzi of the Palm Beach Post, they have sold 10,332 of the bad boys so far.

While the Marlins’ stated attendance is in the 18,000 per game range, I’m guessing actual clicks of the turnstile are way, way lower. I don’t know how to get that number, but I’d be willing to wager that they’ve sold tickets to more people for the Halladay game after it ended than they’ve had warm bodies show up for dozens of actual home games this year.

1. Jonny5 - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:03 PM

This is way cool!!!! I can keep it and tell my grandkids how i could have been there for that very game but i bought my ticket a little late…. This Loria character will be visited by three spirits this christmas eve i think.

2. RichardInBigD - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Having worked a season as a ticket taker/security guard/usher for a certain team headed to the playoffs this year, I know that in 2004, the turnstile count was exactly that. A designated person would read the counters at each turnstile at their entrance after the 5th inning (I think), and after padding each one an arbitrary amount, radio in their count to someone somewhere that was tabulating that particular day. After each of these inflated numbers was recorded and added up, they would announce a number that would indicate that a lot less green should be showing in the stands. Since the advent of the radio frequency barcode scanners used in most, if not all, ballparks today, I would think that fudging would be more difficult. That being said, that would indicate that the increases in attendance being touted by Lord Budness are actually even more impressive than they seem on the surface. IDK, just a thought to interject.

3. MNPawn - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:27 PM

You can’t fault the guy for taking advantage of a situation that he could make money on. To sell something ridiculous you have to try in the first place, good move, people bought them. Even though it is possible to make money by owning your own competitive baseball team, use other’s successes and capitalize. It’s not his fault Halladay pitched a perfect game against his team is it? Well, maybe it is a little bit.

4. Reflex - Sep 15, 2010 at 4:30 PM

Man, now you went and jinxed it! Don’t you know that if you talk about attendance before the fans show up you increase the chance that nobody shows? If tonight’s Marlins game is sparsely attended its on your head…

5. RichardInBigD - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:12 PM

Except I’m talking about events that have already occured, not ones that are in progress, or in the future. It must be beyond the comprehension of the non-believers to be able to distiguish the differences among past, present and future, and how the past or the present may, in some way, affect the future, but there is no way the future can affect the past or the present.

6. Utley's hair - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Unless you have a flux capacitor in your Delorean.

7. RichardInBigD - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:33 PM

But the there would be a violent interruption of the time/space continuum, and the Cubs might actually win a World Series…

8. Bryz - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Craig, I work at Target Field as an usher, and although I can’t speak for all ballparks in MLB, I do know that TF turnstiles do not count people at all. There’s a possibility the same may be true for the Marlins.

9. Old Gator - Sep 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM

Yeah, and with any luck they’ll be Dracula, Pazuzu and Mammon.

10. Old Gator - Sep 15, 2010 at 6:04 PM

It’s fortunate that my love of Cuban food coexists here in Macondo with the greediest, grubbiest owner in Baseball. See, I know that when I consume one of these huge fatty and carbohydrate-ridden, low-fiber means – boliche mechado with moro rice, fried yuca and a mamey batido, for example – chances are that if I pick up a copy of the Macondo Feeshwrapper I’ll read something by Clark Spencer about Scrooge McLoria’s latest parasitic gambit and promptly throw up. Bulimia without the self-conscious guilt! Like Brian and the guys once sang, always look on the bright side of life….

11. matt - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:44 PM

Forget the absurdity of selling those tickets. I refuse to believe that the Marlins average 18,000 a night. The Braves? Maybe, but the marlins are getting 18,000 a night about as much as I have a chance at a night with that hot Mexican female “journalist” that Rex Ryan harassed.

Yet another WS run for the Giants