"Go home and make babies"

Sep 15, 2010, 10:00 AM EDT

The NFL is currently experiencing some ugliness involving players’ treatment of a female reporter and people saying all kinds of dumb and offensive things about women in the locker room. It’s maddening to me that this kind of crap still happens, but it does — and has been for years — because as much as we’d like to think otherwise, the human race is still nothing but a bunch of grubby apes with occasionally better grooming.

But things are better than they used to be.  To see that, just read this great story from FanHouse’s Pat McManamon about Doris O’Donnell Drew, who was sent to cover an Indians’ east coast road trip back in 1957. The level of hostility she received was crazy: she was kicked out of press boxes and was told by the Indians’ manager that she should “go home and make babies.”  And she was just doing feature stories, not trying to go into the clubhouse right after the game or anything. Just nuts.

As McManamon notes, O’Donnell’s most memorable encounter was with Ted Williams who — while nothing short of horribly rude to her — actually gave her an interview (he later apologized for his behavior). Even at its best, however, the sports world was incredibly hostile. O’Donnell went on to cover more important things such as the civil rights movement and the political turmoil of the 1960s. There she received a better greeting.

McManamon’s piece is great stuff, which I highly recommend. And keep it bookmarked for the next time some idiot athletes decide to, once again, show the world that the human race is really a bunch of grubby apes.

1. matt - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM

I’m assuming that this is in reference to the Jets and that mexican reporter. If you wrote this article 10,000 times about any different reporter I’d be right there with you. I can’t stand the typical low-brow “well she asked for it!! The locker room is for men!!”. I’m still going to take your side with the only caveat being that this is the first time I’ev ever read one of these stories where I just don’t feel too sorry for this woman. I guess theoretically a woman should be able to wear a thong to practice and still not have the players treating her like a bimbo, but this woman should also be held accountable to some kind of professional standard to go along with the players having a sense of professionalism. For ehr to say she was dressed appropriately is absurd. Anyone that saw the pics in the NY Post of this woman on the sidelines knows that this woman embarassed herself and every other female sports journalist trying to do a tough job in a man’s world. If you want some respect then try respecting yourself first. She calls herself “the hottest mexican sports reporter” and dresses like she’s working at a Nevada whorehouse. Then of course you get the interviews on Good Morning America, I’m sure the reality show isnt far behind. I guess I’m coming off as the typical caveman guy here but I see someone begging for attention, good or bad, and willing to do anything to get it. She doesn’t seem to mind what’s going on one bit and this all seems kind of contrived to me. That all being said, Rex Ryan is a neanderthal and he and his players acted like fools. Its just that this one time this so-called journalist just rubs me the wrong way. I’m not buying it. (she is smoking hot though. woohoo)

2. Jonny5 - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:41 AM

Well ball players were never too nice to females involved in media as far as i can see. Our Beloved Richie Ashburn went out of his way to make sure a certain women felt welcomed. What skill it takes to complete such a feat. “During an August 17, 1957 game, Ashburn hit a foul ball into the stands that struck spectator Alice Roth, wife of Philadelphia Bulletin sports editor Earl Roth, breaking her nose. When play resumed, Ashburn fouled off another ball that struck Roth while she was being carried off in a stretcher.”
    As far as Inez Sainz goes? although I tend to agree with what Craig said, and in most circumstances would be pissed at the guys who pulled that stunt. I have to say, and it’s not easy to admit for me. She almost asked for it. They showed what she was wearing, which appeared to me to be a painted on pair of jeans, and a painted on shirt. This woman is entirely too beautiful for men with a pulse to ignore. And that body? Amazing doesn’t even begin to describe it. All I have to say is that a known sex symbol should never dress like she did and enter a football locker room. It’s easy to guess the outcome from these half brain dead lumps of meat with more testosterone raging through them than a race horse. Clinto Portis on the other hand seemed to just prove what that last sentence stated. What a bone head. I’m not excusing, just saying that if you walk in front of a bus, don’t think it won’t hit you. Would you wrap a raw steak around your neck when training a Tiger?

3. Matt S. - Sep 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM

“Clinto Portis on the other hand seemed to just prove what that last sentence stated. ”
    Surely this isn’t a comment on Portis being a black man and the last sentence saying “grubby apes”. I hope not.

4. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM

Of course not. If you noticed, I used the term in the first paragraph to describe the entirety of the human race. If you search my archives, I’m sure you’ll find me doing so on a number of other occasions as well, as it’s a term I’ve long used to describe humanity’s baser, regrettable impulses since I was in college.

5. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Ah, I see you’re talking to Jonny, not referring to the post itself. Given that Jonny is merely using my verbiage there, however, I think the same thing applies.

6. YANKEES1996 - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:07 AM

Women in locker rooms is a mistake. If she was in the locker room waiting for an interview with Sanchez isn’t there somewhere better to wait? During her appearances on the sidelines and in the locker room I would describe her attire as less than professional and more Saturday afternoon running errands type dress. If she insists on dressing that way and being in a mens locker room then comments and glances are going to be exchanged. If women are to be allowed in the locker room the there should be a professional dress code and they should not be allowed in the locker room until after the after game meeting and showering is completed. There are plenty of women reporters that do this smae type of job who are always dressed very professionaly, Erin Andrews and Suzy Kolber to name two. I honestly don’t know why all reporters male and female cannot be escorted to a Media interview room where the players can go and answer questions after their business is concluded. What would this woman say if a male reporter wanted to interview her for his job and walked into her health club locker room after her workout?

7. Kevin S. - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I happen to think any reporters in the locker room is a mistake – that’s the players’ sanctuary, and they should have their privacy in there. Stuff like the White Sox having to get rid of their curse-breaking blow-up doll a couple years ago because it offended some locker room reporters never should have happened. That said, if you’re going to allow locker-room access to reporters, you need to allow it to all reporters, male and female, and you need to grant them the basic courtesy of allowing them to do their job.

8. Jonny5 - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM

I was referring to the sentence “I” wrote just before. Not Craig.
    “It’s easy to guess the outcome from these half brain dead lumps of meat with more testosterone raging through them than a race horse. Clinton Portis on the other hand seemed to just prove what that last sentence stated. What a bone head. ”
    And any man can think like like a Grubby ape no matter what his race is. And Portis did just that. Had it been Joe Montana saying the same thing, it would also be applicable to him as well. I don’t remember anyone bringing up the color of Clinton’s skin, that’s not really important is it? If you click the link where Clinton is quoted, you’ll see what I mean. I don’t take race into consideration unless it’s the human race. Did you know Apes are white under that hair of theirs??? Think about it.

9. murd - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:02 PM

I tend to agree that there should be a media room or something where reporters can wait until players are dressed. As far as this particular incident, I heard this chick do an interview where she said she wasn’t offended at all. She said the guys were just joking and some other reporter made a big deal out of it, not her. I think her tweet that said she was embarrassed was in reference to her trying not to see the guys naked.

10. matt - Sep 15, 2010 at 1:20 PM

Clinton Portis is just a moron with negligible brain function. This is the same guy who said that Mike Vick should be able to do as he pleases with those dogs because they were his. Again, it was only after Joe Gibbs must of had a coronary after reading the comments did Portis offer the typical PR apology that he certainly did not write himself, much like his latest fake apology. Can you imagine trying to have an intelligent conversation with Portis? Is it possible? Im guessing no. Ok, back to the pictures of this incredible South American Vixen…… (the quote she made was great… “my body type does tend to stretch jeans”. Good lord , yes ot does)

11. Jonny5 - Sep 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM

“my body type does tend to stretch jeans”
    Yes, it stretches the Jeans of MEN!!! She knew exactly what was going to happen wearing that outfit in a room of naked men. She’s lucky she didn’t get an eye injury in there. Dudes are tall.

12. Omega - Sep 15, 2010 at 2:08 PM

That’s an insult to grabby apes everywhere, comparing them to human beings!

13. Old Gator - Sep 15, 2010 at 3:12 PM

This is maddening to me too. Babies are horrible, children even worse.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto