Sep 15, 2010, 10:08 PM EDT
The hits keep coming for this Mets organization.
Outfielder Jason Bay told Adam Rubin of ESPN New York on Wednesday that he is “highly unlikely” to return to the big leagues this season despite showing signs of progress from a concussion.
Bay was placed on the disabled list in late July after suffering a concussion while running head-first into an outfield wall. He’s no longer having headaches, but concussion victims are limited to only light workouts and he won’t be able to get his timing right before the end of the regular season.
“Given the lack of things that I’ve done at this point to get back on
there, I understand it’s probably highly unlikely, but it’s still a
goal,” Bay said Wednesday. “Every day that passes and you don’t take these giant leaps forward, you realize you’re that much further behind.”
The 31-year-old Bay had a disappointing .259/.347/.402 batting line, six home runs and 47 RBI in 95 games before going down. He is owed $48 million over the next three seasons.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)