Sep 15, 2010, 12:06 PM EDT
Jon Paul Morosi’s argument for CC Sabathia or David Price over Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young Award (that I tweaked yesterday) basically boiled down to the fact that Sabathia and Price are in a pennant race:
To be the best, one must do what Sabathia and Price have all
season — compete against the best lineups, in postseason-type
atmospheres, before crazed crowds at hitter-friendly ballparks. And win.
Based on his latest tweet, that doesn’t apply to the MVP award:
It’s becoming clear that Miguel Cabrera should win the AL MVP over Josh Hamilton.
Got that? Sometimes pennant races matter to Morosi. Sometimes they don’t matter. It changes literally daily now.
I guess If you’re looking for a thread of consistency in Morosi’s major awards choices — Greinke! Sabathia/Price! Cabrera! — the best I can do is to infer that Morosi, like so many writers, roots for good stories. Greinke was a redemption story and a comeback story. Felix Hernandez doesn’t give you a ton of drama. Sabathia and Price have that mano y mano playoff race thing going for them. Hamilton’s redemption story is old hat, but Cabrera is a year removed from that drunkenstein weekend during the White Sox series.
writers get on stat-oriented people for seeing everything through
numbers. I think writers are far more interested in seeing everything
through dramatic narrative. It seems to me that’s what Morosi is doing here anyway.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 28
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 96
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 72
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 72
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)