Sep 15, 2010, 12:06 PM EST
Jon Paul Morosi’s argument for CC Sabathia or David Price over Felix Hernandez for the Cy Young Award (that I tweaked yesterday) basically boiled down to the fact that Sabathia and Price are in a pennant race:
To be the best, one must do what Sabathia and Price have all
season — compete against the best lineups, in postseason-type
atmospheres, before crazed crowds at hitter-friendly ballparks. And win.
Based on his latest tweet, that doesn’t apply to the MVP award:
It’s becoming clear that Miguel Cabrera should win the AL MVP over Josh Hamilton.
Got that? Sometimes pennant races matter to Morosi. Sometimes they don’t matter. It changes literally daily now.
I guess If you’re looking for a thread of consistency in Morosi’s major awards choices — Greinke! Sabathia/Price! Cabrera! — the best I can do is to infer that Morosi, like so many writers, roots for good stories. Greinke was a redemption story and a comeback story. Felix Hernandez doesn’t give you a ton of drama. Sabathia and Price have that mano y mano playoff race thing going for them. Hamilton’s redemption story is old hat, but Cabrera is a year removed from that drunkenstein weekend during the White Sox series.
writers get on stat-oriented people for seeing everything through
numbers. I think writers are far more interested in seeing everything
through dramatic narrative. It seems to me that’s what Morosi is doing here anyway.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 286
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (287)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)