Sep 15, 2010, 10:32 AM EST
How is replacing a ligament in your arm with one from your leg OK but treating an injury with HGH not?
– Former major leaguer C.J. Nitkowski, tweeting this morning about why one abnormal body repair technique is OK, but another is not.
Yes, one is against the rules and one is not, but rules aren’t ends. They’re means to encourage and ensure good behavior and/or deter and punish bad behavior. If we were writing the rules from scratch this very day my guess is that people would acknowledge that HGH use under a doctor’s care for injury rehab is absolutely fine. And in any event, less shockingly weird that frankensteining an elbow ligament out of a leg ligament.
We won’t do that, however, because HGH comes in the form of injections and that looks like illicit drug use and so much of our society has been brainwashed by War on Drugs rhetoric that we’d rather just say HGH is bad, mmm-kay, than actually think about it a bit.
Maybe someday we’ll wake up and actually begin to use reason again.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)