Sep 15, 2010, 4:37 PM EDT
You know what would be a reasonable response to the NCAA stripping Reggie Bush of his Heisman trophy yesterday? Acknowledging that Bush is almost certainly not the only Heisman trophy winner who took cash in violation of the rules and deciding that the exercise of changing history like that is pointless and empty.
You know what would not be a reasonable response? Looking back at the baseball MVP awards and deciding how the Reggie Bush approach would work to strip known steroid users of their hardware. That’s what Tom Weir does over at USA Today this afternoon.
Of course, stripping Barry Bonds of his awards is the easy part. How Weir knows that Mike Piazza, Moises Alou and Luis Gonzalez — just to name a few of the alternate universe recipients — didn’t take PEDs is beyond me. What’s even farther beyond me is how Weir could follow the PED in baseball discussion these past few years and not acknowledge that the primary lesson of the Mitchell Report and subsequent test results is that fans’ and reporters’ steroid parlor games are
pointless, because for every obvious case like Barry Bonds, there are
several more guys who were juicing that you never would have suspected.
Does that sound familiar? Long time readers may remember me saying nearly the same thing. Why? Because Rick Reilly did the same little exercise that Weir does today over at ESPN in February 2009, and I went after his take too. It was just as dumb as Weir’s piece. OK, Reilly’s was dumber, but only because he probably makes 20 times the money Weir does to peddle his stuff.
But hey, they met deadline and posted something, and that’s all that matters, right?
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 0
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 58
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)