Sep 15, 2010, 10:46 AM EST
Manny Ramirez has been a disappointment in Chicago, but his replacement in Los Angeles hasn’t been any better.
Scott Podsednik has batted just .262 with a .316 on-base percentage and .336 slugging percentage in 39 games since the Dodgers acquired him from the Royals in late July, including going 3-for-26 (.115) since Ramirez’s departure, and now he’s expected to miss the rest of the season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot.
Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times speculates that Podsednik’s time with the Dodgers is over despite his contract containing a $2 million mutual option for 2011, writing: “Given his age, lack of power, and foot trouble I can’t see the Dodgers bringing him back unless it’s as a backup.”
Perhaps, but if the Dodgers thought enough of Podsednik to trade a pair of prospects for him six weeks ago and hand him the starting job in left field while getting rid of Ramirez they seemingly think he’s worth $2 million for a full season. Whether or not they’d be right to think that is another issue, of course.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)