Sep 15, 2010, 10:46 AM EDT
Manny Ramirez has been a disappointment in Chicago, but his replacement in Los Angeles hasn’t been any better.
Scott Podsednik has batted just .262 with a .316 on-base percentage and .336 slugging percentage in 39 games since the Dodgers acquired him from the Royals in late July, including going 3-for-26 (.115) since Ramirez’s departure, and now he’s expected to miss the rest of the season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot.
Steve Dilbeck of the Los Angeles Times speculates that Podsednik’s time with the Dodgers is over despite his contract containing a $2 million mutual option for 2011, writing: “Given his age, lack of power, and foot trouble I can’t see the Dodgers bringing him back unless it’s as a backup.”
Perhaps, but if the Dodgers thought enough of Podsednik to trade a pair of prospects for him six weeks ago and hand him the starting job in left field while getting rid of Ramirez they seemingly think he’s worth $2 million for a full season. Whether or not they’d be right to think that is another issue, of course.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)