The 2011 schedule is released. And there was much rejoicing

Sep 15, 2010, 11:00 AM EDT

Next year’s entire schedule — sans the still-possible Diamondbacks-Giants series in Taiwan — has been released. Here’s the actual schedule. Here’s some verbiage from MLB.com talking about how glorious it is.  And I suppose it might be glorious in places, but really dudes, it’s just a schedule.

The most notable thing about it is the early start — March 31st — and the early end — September 28th — which was designed to avoid November baseball.  If we can avoid those more frequent late March-early April snow storms it will be just spiffy.  The All-Star Game is July 12th. Which is kind of a drag because that means there are real games that count on my birthday — July 14th — and rather than hosting some self-centered bacchanalia, I’ll be reading box scores and writing snarky And That Happened entries. Sigh.

I do very much like the Thursday afternoon start, though.  It’s way better to knock off the end of the week than the beginning, so we can all treat Opening Day (and The Day After Opening Day) as a national holiday and go have beers and watch baseball in downtown bars as God and Nature intended.

Final question: is it bad that, after writing that, I’m more excited for Opening Day 2011 right now than I am for today’s games and the remainder of the pennant race?

1. Quack Mr Ducksworth - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

The braves are swirling down the drain, so you can be excused…

2. Kevin S. - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:13 AM

You know, it would be easier to avoid those if they didn’t have games at open-air stadiums in Cleveland, New York, Denver, Chicago and Philadelphia. New rule: All non-domed northern teams begin the season on a ten-game road trip.

3. Simon DelMonte - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:18 AM

It’s weird that someone whose team is still very much in it is reacting that way. Are you subconsciously deciding that the Braves are not going to go very far? Or are you secretly dreading a Padres-Rays World Series and the accompanying 10 days of “woe is me, the ratings are lousy.”

4. Craig Calcaterra - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:19 AM

I’m a bit down on the Braves, but I’m not despairing. This is mostly about me getting a momentary flash of spring and how great Opening Day is.

5. BC - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:33 AM

If they didn’t have 58 off days during the playoffs, the early-start-early-end scenario wouldn’t be needed.

6. David - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Opening Day should be a Monday.

7. birdmancometh - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM

Disagree. It should be on a day when the most people can enjoy it. Also, the Super Bowl should be on a saturday so all of my employees don’t take off “sick” on Monday morning. Some tradition is great, other tradition is just habit.

8. birdmancometh - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:54 AM

A-f’n-men. It would also force a team to use more than three pitchers.

9. Adenzeno - Sep 15, 2010 at 11:58 AM

WHY dont the Reds get to open the season 1st as they used to in homage to their being the FIRST professional baseball team?

10. okobojicat - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:03 PM

Opening Day should be a Friday. And it should be a national holiday. And every school kid should be required to attend a major league game or an independent league game, or even just a high school game.

11. Steve A - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:16 PM

That’s not fair to the southern teams to burn through home games in April.

12. John_Michael - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Because the Reds are Communist and therefore they don’t get special treatment.

13. Steve A - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Because the Reds don’t mean anything to the TV networks that “partner” with MLB. Plus, I’m not sure how many casual fans outside of Cincinnati know or care about that tradition. It’s a shame that Opening Day is now subject to NFL-ization (primetime game before the rest of the teams start).

14. Steve A - Sep 15, 2010 at 12:24 PM

I’m hating this new scheduling system MLB is using. There are way too many two and four game series littered throughout the schedule.
    Also, what happened to interleague rotation? The Tigers play the Dodgers in LA and the D’Backs in Detroit for the second year in a row. They go to Pittsburgh for the second time in 3 years. They play the Mets for the second year in a row, this time in Detroit. I realize the Tigers have no “natural” rival, but this is horrible.

15. sportsdrenched - Sep 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Yes, The Friday start definatly lends itself to the proper celebration of Baseball returning (even though college starts 6 weeks before that).
    as MLB has become increasingly more illrelevant in recent years I think it’s a good thing that they’re hyping their schedule release. If I were MLB I would copy what the NFL does as much as logisticly possible as far as markleting goes.
    If the NFL has a big press conference with man-bands and fireworks….MLB should do that too. (I won’t watch, but apperantly enough people do that this has become a trend)

16. Kevin S. - Sep 15, 2010 at 8:50 PM

Teams have stretches longer than that throughout the season. I’m not seeing the issue.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3318)