Sep 15, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
There’s a story in the San Diego Union Tribune today about how great the visitor’s bullpen is in Colorado. It’s set among all that landscaping you can see when you look out towards centerfield, and according to the Padres relievers, it’s simply lovely.
“They made it look like we’re in the Rockies with the trees. You can
follow a trail out of the visitors’ bullpen that goes behind the
waterfall and around the lake,” said Heath Bell. “It’s very peaceful, almost zen-like. Why is it so nice?” said Adam Russell. Luke Gregrson has a mixed take, but on the whole it sounds nice: “It’s like throwing in a wooded glen. I keep waiting for some animal to jump out of the trees and attack us.”
There’s mention in the piece of some of the worst visitors bullpens, many of which seem designed to make the visiting relievers uncomfortable. Good reading.
On that score, though, none can beat the pens in Tiger Stadium. You used to warm up on the sidelines like you do in a lot of old parks. But the relievers “bench” resembled the tiger cage Chuck Norris was stuffed into in those “Missing in Action” movies. Here’s a pic.
When I was a kid going to that park I used to think they were cool. Like little forts. Being shoved in there as a grownup with mild claustrophobia issues, however, seems like it would be torture, even if the whole point of it was player safety.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)