Sep 15, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
There’s a story in the San Diego Union Tribune today about how great the visitor’s bullpen is in Colorado. It’s set among all that landscaping you can see when you look out towards centerfield, and according to the Padres relievers, it’s simply lovely.
“They made it look like we’re in the Rockies with the trees. You can
follow a trail out of the visitors’ bullpen that goes behind the
waterfall and around the lake,” said Heath Bell. “It’s very peaceful, almost zen-like. Why is it so nice?” said Adam Russell. Luke Gregrson has a mixed take, but on the whole it sounds nice: “It’s like throwing in a wooded glen. I keep waiting for some animal to jump out of the trees and attack us.”
There’s mention in the piece of some of the worst visitors bullpens, many of which seem designed to make the visiting relievers uncomfortable. Good reading.
On that score, though, none can beat the pens in Tiger Stadium. You used to warm up on the sidelines like you do in a lot of old parks. But the relievers “bench” resembled the tiger cage Chuck Norris was stuffed into in those “Missing in Action” movies. Here’s a pic.
When I was a kid going to that park I used to think they were cool. Like little forts. Being shoved in there as a grownup with mild claustrophobia issues, however, seems like it would be torture, even if the whole point of it was player safety.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 7
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 25
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (86)