Sep 15, 2010, 1:01 PM EDT
There’s a story in the San Diego Union Tribune today about how great the visitor’s bullpen is in Colorado. It’s set among all that landscaping you can see when you look out towards centerfield, and according to the Padres relievers, it’s simply lovely.
“They made it look like we’re in the Rockies with the trees. You can
follow a trail out of the visitors’ bullpen that goes behind the
waterfall and around the lake,” said Heath Bell. “It’s very peaceful, almost zen-like. Why is it so nice?” said Adam Russell. Luke Gregrson has a mixed take, but on the whole it sounds nice: “It’s like throwing in a wooded glen. I keep waiting for some animal to jump out of the trees and attack us.”
There’s mention in the piece of some of the worst visitors bullpens, many of which seem designed to make the visiting relievers uncomfortable. Good reading.
On that score, though, none can beat the pens in Tiger Stadium. You used to warm up on the sidelines like you do in a lot of old parks. But the relievers “bench” resembled the tiger cage Chuck Norris was stuffed into in those “Missing in Action” movies. Here’s a pic.
When I was a kid going to that park I used to think they were cool. Like little forts. Being shoved in there as a grownup with mild claustrophobia issues, however, seems like it would be torture, even if the whole point of it was player safety.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 10
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 37
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)