Sep 15, 2010, 1:01 PM EST
There’s a story in the San Diego Union Tribune today about how great the visitor’s bullpen is in Colorado. It’s set among all that landscaping you can see when you look out towards centerfield, and according to the Padres relievers, it’s simply lovely.
“They made it look like we’re in the Rockies with the trees. You can
follow a trail out of the visitors’ bullpen that goes behind the
waterfall and around the lake,” said Heath Bell. “It’s very peaceful, almost zen-like. Why is it so nice?” said Adam Russell. Luke Gregrson has a mixed take, but on the whole it sounds nice: “It’s like throwing in a wooded glen. I keep waiting for some animal to jump out of the trees and attack us.”
There’s mention in the piece of some of the worst visitors bullpens, many of which seem designed to make the visiting relievers uncomfortable. Good reading.
On that score, though, none can beat the pens in Tiger Stadium. You used to warm up on the sidelines like you do in a lot of old parks. But the relievers “bench” resembled the tiger cage Chuck Norris was stuffed into in those “Missing in Action” movies. Here’s a pic.
When I was a kid going to that park I used to think they were cool. Like little forts. Being shoved in there as a grownup with mild claustrophobia issues, however, seems like it would be torture, even if the whole point of it was player safety.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)