Sep 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EST
For the fourth time since 2000, opposing players had at least two homers and five RBI in the same game as the Rockies topped the Padres 9-6 on Wednesday.
And both happened to be occupying the cleanup spot.
Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-5 with two three-run homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies, while Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and five RBI for the Padres, who entered the day hoping to finish a three-game sweep in Colorado.
That it happened at Coors Field should come as little surprise. So did one of the previous three such offensive demonstrations:
- May 12, 2000 – Jeffrey Hammonds went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies to a 15-7 win over the Giants in Colorado. Armando Rios hit two homers off Rolando Arrojo to account for his five RBI for San Francisco.
- Aug. 26, 2006 – Albert Pujols homered twice and drove in seven runs for the Cardinals, but the Mets withstood the onslaught and won 8-7 thanks to two homers and five RBI from Carlos Delgado. Carlos Beltran hit a walkoff homer off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth.
- July 20, 2009 – Matt Holliday, in one of his final games with Oakland, had two homers, two doubles and six RBI as the A’s edged the Twins 14-13. Justin Morneau went 3-for-5 with two homers and seven RBI in the losing cause.
Colorado’s victory left the team 2 1/2 games back of the Padres in the NL West. The Giants, who play later tonight, are sandwiched in second place, one game behind San Diego.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 57
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 223
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (224)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)