Sep 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
For the fourth time since 2000, opposing players had at least two homers and five RBI in the same game as the Rockies topped the Padres 9-6 on Wednesday.
And both happened to be occupying the cleanup spot.
Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-5 with two three-run homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies, while Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and five RBI for the Padres, who entered the day hoping to finish a three-game sweep in Colorado.
That it happened at Coors Field should come as little surprise. So did one of the previous three such offensive demonstrations:
– May 12, 2000 – Jeffrey Hammonds went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies to a 15-7 win over the Giants in Colorado. Armando Rios hit two homers off Rolando Arrojo to account for his five RBI for San Francisco.
– Aug. 26, 2006 – Albert Pujols homered twice and drove in seven runs for the Cardinals, but the Mets withstood the onslaught and won 8-7 thanks to two homers and five RBI from Carlos Delgado. Carlos Beltran hit a walkoff homer off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth.
– July 20, 2009 – Matt Holliday, in one of his final games with Oakland, had two homers, two doubles and six RBI as the A’s edged the Twins 14-13. Justin Morneau went 3-for-5 with two homers and seven RBI in the losing cause.
Colorado’s victory left the team 2 1/2 games back of the Padres in the NL West. The Giants, who play later tonight, are sandwiched in second place, one game behind San Diego.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)