Sep 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
For the fourth time since 2000, opposing players had at least two homers and five RBI in the same game as the Rockies topped the Padres 9-6 on Wednesday.
And both happened to be occupying the cleanup spot.
Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-5 with two three-run homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies, while Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and five RBI for the Padres, who entered the day hoping to finish a three-game sweep in Colorado.
That it happened at Coors Field should come as little surprise. So did one of the previous three such offensive demonstrations:
– May 12, 2000 – Jeffrey Hammonds went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies to a 15-7 win over the Giants in Colorado. Armando Rios hit two homers off Rolando Arrojo to account for his five RBI for San Francisco.
– Aug. 26, 2006 – Albert Pujols homered twice and drove in seven runs for the Cardinals, but the Mets withstood the onslaught and won 8-7 thanks to two homers and five RBI from Carlos Delgado. Carlos Beltran hit a walkoff homer off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth.
– July 20, 2009 – Matt Holliday, in one of his final games with Oakland, had two homers, two doubles and six RBI as the A’s edged the Twins 14-13. Justin Morneau went 3-for-5 with two homers and seven RBI in the losing cause.
Colorado’s victory left the team 2 1/2 games back of the Padres in the NL West. The Giants, who play later tonight, are sandwiched in second place, one game behind San Diego.
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 15
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 14
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 36
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 21
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)