Sep 15, 2010, 7:00 PM EDT
For the fourth time since 2000, opposing players had at least two homers and five RBI in the same game as the Rockies topped the Padres 9-6 on Wednesday.
And both happened to be occupying the cleanup spot.
Troy Tulowitzki went 3-for-5 with two three-run homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies, while Adrian Gonzalez finished 3-for-5 with a pair of homers and five RBI for the Padres, who entered the day hoping to finish a three-game sweep in Colorado.
That it happened at Coors Field should come as little surprise. So did one of the previous three such offensive demonstrations:
– May 12, 2000 – Jeffrey Hammonds went 3-for-4 with two homers and seven RBI to lead the Rockies to a 15-7 win over the Giants in Colorado. Armando Rios hit two homers off Rolando Arrojo to account for his five RBI for San Francisco.
– Aug. 26, 2006 – Albert Pujols homered twice and drove in seven runs for the Cardinals, but the Mets withstood the onslaught and won 8-7 thanks to two homers and five RBI from Carlos Delgado. Carlos Beltran hit a walkoff homer off Jason Isringhausen in the ninth.
– July 20, 2009 – Matt Holliday, in one of his final games with Oakland, had two homers, two doubles and six RBI as the A’s edged the Twins 14-13. Justin Morneau went 3-for-5 with two homers and seven RBI in the losing cause.
Colorado’s victory left the team 2 1/2 games back of the Padres in the NL West. The Giants, who play later tonight, are sandwiched in second place, one game behind San Diego.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 3
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 16
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 19
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)