Sep 15, 2010, 4:05 PM EDT
I can’t decide if watching John Lannan shut down the Braves is worse than watching Livan Hernandez do it, but hey, at least I have recent data points on both of those things in order to make an informed comparison! The Braves dropped yet another game they had no business dropping if they plan on playing past October 3rd, losing 4-2 to the Nationals this afternoon.
All of the Nats runs came on a Justin Maxwell grand slam in the second inning. The Braves scored a run on a groundout and an RBI single. They ran out of multiple other opportunities, however, with Martin Prado getting nailed at the plate once and Jason Heyward getting called out when he couldn’t avoid a batted ball while running the bases. It was pretty dreadful.
The Braves are now 2.5 back pending tonight’s Phillies-Marlins game. It may be more useful for Braves fans to watch the wild card standings, however. They’re a game up there, though tied in the loss column.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)