Sep 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
Heyman’s latest goes over the possible replacements for Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. This line stuck out at me:
within the Mets organization see ticket sales as a key issue and some
opine that Valentine could be the man to re-energize the organization in
It’s fun to mock the Mets from time to time, but God help them and their fans if the people running that team are truly planning on making their managerial choice based on the kind of ticket sales he’ll bring.
Really: has there ever been a fan who said “you know, I wasn’t going to get season tickets, but Joe Schmo is managing, and him I gots ta see!” I mean, maybe Earl Weaver in his prime inspired a few walkups, but those teams were at least good at baseball.
If this is true, however, it means that the Mets are already screwing up their managerial choice weeks before they even make it. Which is quite astounding, even compared to their glorious track record.
- Devin Mesoraco could need hip surgery 2
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 10
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 2
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs (96)