Sep 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
Heyman’s latest goes over the possible replacements for Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. This line stuck out at me:
within the Mets organization see ticket sales as a key issue and some
opine that Valentine could be the man to re-energize the organization in
It’s fun to mock the Mets from time to time, but God help them and their fans if the people running that team are truly planning on making their managerial choice based on the kind of ticket sales he’ll bring.
Really: has there ever been a fan who said “you know, I wasn’t going to get season tickets, but Joe Schmo is managing, and him I gots ta see!” I mean, maybe Earl Weaver in his prime inspired a few walkups, but those teams were at least good at baseball.
If this is true, however, it means that the Mets are already screwing up their managerial choice weeks before they even make it. Which is quite astounding, even compared to their glorious track record.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)