Sep 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EST
Heyman’s latest goes over the possible replacements for Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. This line stuck out at me:
within the Mets organization see ticket sales as a key issue and some
opine that Valentine could be the man to re-energize the organization in
It’s fun to mock the Mets from time to time, but God help them and their fans if the people running that team are truly planning on making their managerial choice based on the kind of ticket sales he’ll bring.
Really: has there ever been a fan who said “you know, I wasn’t going to get season tickets, but Joe Schmo is managing, and him I gots ta see!” I mean, maybe Earl Weaver in his prime inspired a few walkups, but those teams were at least good at baseball.
If this is true, however, it means that the Mets are already screwing up their managerial choice weeks before they even make it. Which is quite astounding, even compared to their glorious track record.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)