Sep 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
Heyman’s latest goes over the possible replacements for Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. This line stuck out at me:
within the Mets organization see ticket sales as a key issue and some
opine that Valentine could be the man to re-energize the organization in
It’s fun to mock the Mets from time to time, but God help them and their fans if the people running that team are truly planning on making their managerial choice based on the kind of ticket sales he’ll bring.
Really: has there ever been a fan who said “you know, I wasn’t going to get season tickets, but Joe Schmo is managing, and him I gots ta see!” I mean, maybe Earl Weaver in his prime inspired a few walkups, but those teams were at least good at baseball.
If this is true, however, it means that the Mets are already screwing up their managerial choice weeks before they even make it. Which is quite astounding, even compared to their glorious track record.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 0
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 129
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (129)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)