Sep 16, 2010, 3:01 PM EDT
Heyman’s latest goes over the possible replacements for Omar Minaya and Jerry Manuel. This line stuck out at me:
within the Mets organization see ticket sales as a key issue and some
opine that Valentine could be the man to re-energize the organization in
It’s fun to mock the Mets from time to time, but God help them and their fans if the people running that team are truly planning on making their managerial choice based on the kind of ticket sales he’ll bring.
Really: has there ever been a fan who said “you know, I wasn’t going to get season tickets, but Joe Schmo is managing, and him I gots ta see!” I mean, maybe Earl Weaver in his prime inspired a few walkups, but those teams were at least good at baseball.
If this is true, however, it means that the Mets are already screwing up their managerial choice weeks before they even make it. Which is quite astounding, even compared to their glorious track record.
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 14
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 75
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)