Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EST
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak sent a message to Cardinals fans Thursday at Busch Stadium’s “Social Media Night.” That message? Colby Rasmus will not be traded this offseason.
Rasmus asked to be moved earlier this year because of a seemingly soured relationship with Cards manager Tony La Russa. The two have since said that all is well, that their relationship is not tarnished, and that it doesn’t have to be a pick one of ‘em decision this winter.
MLB.com’s Matthew Leach has the goods.
“A lot of times players, out of frustration or for whatever reason, may
go into a meeting and come out saying some things they may regret,”
Mozeliak said. “But a lot of times, you have to understand, these things
never get out there. In this particular case, it’s been festering for a
while. But I can assure you, Colby’s not going to be traded. I can also
assure you that some of the things he’s dealing with are typical
growing pains that young players go through.”
Mozeliak noted that Rasmus’ level of talent and upside could not be matched via a transaction. He’s probably right about that. In 408 at-bats this season, the 24-year-old Rasmus has posted a solid .861 OPS and 22 home runs while showing excellent range in center field. It sounds like he will be in St. Louis at least through his arbitration years.
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 119
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. 95
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (119)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)