Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EST
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak sent a message to Cardinals fans Thursday at Busch Stadium’s “Social Media Night.” That message? Colby Rasmus will not be traded this offseason.
Rasmus asked to be moved earlier this year because of a seemingly soured relationship with Cards manager Tony La Russa. The two have since said that all is well, that their relationship is not tarnished, and that it doesn’t have to be a pick one of ‘em decision this winter.
MLB.com’s Matthew Leach has the goods.
“A lot of times players, out of frustration or for whatever reason, may
go into a meeting and come out saying some things they may regret,”
Mozeliak said. “But a lot of times, you have to understand, these things
never get out there. In this particular case, it’s been festering for a
while. But I can assure you, Colby’s not going to be traded. I can also
assure you that some of the things he’s dealing with are typical
growing pains that young players go through.”
Mozeliak noted that Rasmus’ level of talent and upside could not be matched via a transaction. He’s probably right about that. In 408 at-bats this season, the 24-year-old Rasmus has posted a solid .861 OPS and 22 home runs while showing excellent range in center field. It sounds like he will be in St. Louis at least through his arbitration years.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 69
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 122
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)