Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak sent a message to Cardinals fans Thursday at Busch Stadium’s “Social Media Night.” That message? Colby Rasmus will not be traded this offseason.
Rasmus asked to be moved earlier this year because of a seemingly soured relationship with Cards manager Tony La Russa. The two have since said that all is well, that their relationship is not tarnished, and that it doesn’t have to be a pick one of ’em decision this winter.
MLB.com’s Matthew Leach has the goods.
“A lot of times players, out of frustration or for whatever reason, may
go into a meeting and come out saying some things they may regret,”
Mozeliak said. “But a lot of times, you have to understand, these things
never get out there. In this particular case, it’s been festering for a
while. But I can assure you, Colby’s not going to be traded. I can also
assure you that some of the things he’s dealing with are typical
growing pains that young players go through.”
Mozeliak noted that Rasmus’ level of talent and upside could not be matched via a transaction. He’s probably right about that. In 408 at-bats this season, the 24-year-old Rasmus has posted a solid .861 OPS and 22 home runs while showing excellent range in center field. It sounds like he will be in St. Louis at least through his arbitration years.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)