Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EDT
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak sent a message to Cardinals fans Thursday at Busch Stadium’s “Social Media Night.” That message? Colby Rasmus will not be traded this offseason.
Rasmus asked to be moved earlier this year because of a seemingly soured relationship with Cards manager Tony La Russa. The two have since said that all is well, that their relationship is not tarnished, and that it doesn’t have to be a pick one of ’em decision this winter.
MLB.com’s Matthew Leach has the goods.
“A lot of times players, out of frustration or for whatever reason, may
go into a meeting and come out saying some things they may regret,”
Mozeliak said. “But a lot of times, you have to understand, these things
never get out there. In this particular case, it’s been festering for a
while. But I can assure you, Colby’s not going to be traded. I can also
assure you that some of the things he’s dealing with are typical
growing pains that young players go through.”
Mozeliak noted that Rasmus’ level of talent and upside could not be matched via a transaction. He’s probably right about that. In 408 at-bats this season, the 24-year-old Rasmus has posted a solid .861 OPS and 22 home runs while showing excellent range in center field. It sounds like he will be in St. Louis at least through his arbitration years.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 18
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 14
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 79
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)