Sep 16, 2010, 10:23 PM EST
Cardinals GM John Mozeliak sent a message to Cardinals fans Thursday at Busch Stadium’s “Social Media Night.” That message? Colby Rasmus will not be traded this offseason.
Rasmus asked to be moved earlier this year because of a seemingly soured relationship with Cards manager Tony La Russa. The two have since said that all is well, that their relationship is not tarnished, and that it doesn’t have to be a pick one of ‘em decision this winter.
MLB.com’s Matthew Leach has the goods.
“A lot of times players, out of frustration or for whatever reason, may
go into a meeting and come out saying some things they may regret,”
Mozeliak said. “But a lot of times, you have to understand, these things
never get out there. In this particular case, it’s been festering for a
while. But I can assure you, Colby’s not going to be traded. I can also
assure you that some of the things he’s dealing with are typical
growing pains that young players go through.”
Mozeliak noted that Rasmus’ level of talent and upside could not be matched via a transaction. He’s probably right about that. In 408 at-bats this season, the 24-year-old Rasmus has posted a solid .861 OPS and 22 home runs while showing excellent range in center field. It sounds like he will be in St. Louis at least through his arbitration years.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)