Carlos Zambrano says he's going to retire after 2012

Sep 16, 2010, 9:15 AM EDT

A couple of months ago, if you told me that Carlos Zambrano was going to retire after the 2012 season, I would have asked how he’d ever make it that long.  He’s been pitching well lately, however. So well, in fact, that it’s not too hard to imagine him being a solid starter again for several years.

Nope. Big Z says he’s done after 2012:

“I told you the other day, this will be my last contract. This will be my last contract. I won’t be playing anymore. I
don’t want to play anymore. Life is short. Sometimes you miss things
with your family, like very important people, like my daughter.
Sometimes you miss things in life because of baseball that you shouldn’t
miss. I want to be there any moment for my daughter and my family.
Baseball takes a lot of time away from us.”

This has been an ugly season for Zambrano, but if he can return to being the guy he was a few years ago — a horse who took the ball every fifth day and who kept the crazy to an amusing minimum — I’d be sad if he hung it up after 2012.

1. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:31 AM

This dude is a joke. Wouldn’t want him anywhere near my team.

2. Omega - Sep 16, 2010 at 10:53 AM

Oh come on Z, leave now, noone will miss you and don’t let the clubhouse door hit you in the @$$ on the way out.

3. Mrsteve - Sep 16, 2010 at 10:59 AM

He will be involved in a domestic dispute or a altercation within the next 2 yrs

4. Michael - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:52 AM

I think that’s kind of a leap, and probably tinged with a bit of race-based motivation, but whatever. By all accounts, Zambrano’s a pretty big family man, so I’d be shocked to see him involved in a “domestic dispute.”

5. Kiwicricket - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:06 PM

“Sometimes you miss things in life because of baseball that you shouldn’t miss”
    Of course, but I am taking a bold guess here…but baseball has also provided you with things that you otherwise would not of even dreamt about Carlos? Suck it up, throw the ball every 5 days for 6 months.

6. I Hear The Double Standard Everyday - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:08 PM

C’mon guys, how can you say these things about someone you don’t know. Disgusting. The guy went ballistic on his teammates because in his opinion they were going through the motions. Was he wrong in his implosion? Yes. Was his heart in the right place. Yes. You guys need to chillax. It’s not everyday you hear a player say he’s forgoing millions to be with family. Grow up.

7. Mrsteve - Sep 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Race based? Shut the fuck up Michele
    You are going to be caught sucking cock in the next week

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto