Sep 16, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT
I did a radio spot on 610 WIP in Philadelphia this morning. I’m not in Philly so I don’t listen to that station, obviously, but they’re always really fun when I stop by and I enjoy chatting with them. It was particularly enjoyable today when HardballTalk was described as “a subsidiary of ProFootballTalk” which was a new one for me. But, hey, as long as Florio’s monster traffic keeps paying the bills they can call me his butler for all I care. I digress.
The last question they hit me with was “gun to your head: assuming for the sake of argument that all three were fresh and available for Game Seven of the World Series, who would you start if you were managing the Phillies: Halladay, Hamels or Oswalt?”
I think I let one ten millionth of a microsecond pass, but then I said “Roy Halladay. No doubt about it. I wouldn’t even blink.” The response from the host: “Sorry, but the answer is Cole Hamels! Thanks for playing!”
Hurm. I can’t decide if they were just messing with me or if they really think that Hamels should get the start in a critical game over an equally-rested Roy Halladay.
This has been bothering me for the past two hours, in fact. They were messing with me, right?
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)