Deep Thoughts: Phillies Game Seven Starter Edition

Sep 16, 2010, 10:27 AM EDT

The answer is obvious . . . right?

I did a radio spot on 610 WIP in Philadelphia this morning. I’m not in Philly so I don’t listen to that station, obviously, but they’re always really fun when I stop by and I enjoy chatting with them. It was particularly enjoyable today when HardballTalk was described as “a subsidiary of ProFootballTalk” which was a new one for me. But, hey, as long as Florio’s monster traffic keeps paying the bills they can call me his butler for all I care. I digress.

The last question they hit me with was “gun to your head: assuming for the sake of argument that all three were fresh and available for Game Seven of the World Series, who would you start if you were managing the Phillies: Halladay, Hamels or Oswalt?”

I think I let one ten millionth of a microsecond pass, but then I said “Roy Halladay. No doubt about it. I wouldn’t even blink.”  The response from the host: “Sorry, but the answer is Cole Hamels! Thanks for playing!”

Hurm. I can’t decide if they were just messing with me or if they really think that Hamels should get the start in a critical game over an equally-rested Roy Halladay.

This has been bothering me for the past two hours, in fact.  They were messing with me, right?

1. Nikoli - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:54 PM

True, Hamels did not pitch well in the ’09 playoffs. But when Hamels is on (e.g. 2008, much of this year) he is an elite pitcher, and I think it’s safe to say that he is on right now. I’m not saying it is clear cut that he’d be your guy in Game 7, but I also don’t think the answer is Roy Halladay “in one ten millionth of a micro second”. As a Phillies fan, the “issue” that Charlie has here is a pretty good one to have.
    To answer the question though: Joe Blanton all day.

2. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:06 PM

Last year, he left Game 2 of the NLDS in the fifth, after getting hooked for the loss, and had to get a police escort to the hospital where his wife had been in labor since before the game. He got the Game 1 win in the NLCS, but needed a five-spot in the fifth by the Phightins to allow him to give three right back in the bottom of the inning–and he bitched out Utley for a throwing error during the same inning. He got a ND in Game 5 after being yanked in the fifth. He lost Game 3 of the WS and bitched to reporters after the game saying that sometimes, you just want it to end. But he’s been much better, and not as touchy this season.

Last year seems–at least I hope, anyway–to have been an anomaly, but only time will tell. He was really stretched thin in the 2008 Series and after, so he didn’t get a whole lot of rest. Plus, his son was born during the DS (rumors surrounding the timing of that is another story).

3. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:08 PM

KENDRICK! KENDRICK! KENDRICK! KENDRICK! KENDRICK! KENDRICK! KENDRICK!

4. Nikoli - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Intriguing pick. I would be ok with having Blanton and Kendrick battle it out head-to-head in a series of both physical and mental challenges. Winner gets the ball in Game 7. This seems fair, no?

5. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Big Joe would take an eating contest hands down–or hands up, depending on what’s being served.

6. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:33 PM

That’s right VO5, thanks for reminding me of that. I think the whole family thing got his focus somewhere else, imagine that right?

7. Kiwicricket - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:38 PM

I actually laughed out loud at this. Nice work. Him pitching is your screen saver. Admit it.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I go back and forth between Craig’s Selig standby and this picture:

9. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Damn kids and dogs and overbearing PR assistant wives.

10. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:08 PM

And how long before you can get used to sleeping next to this? http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/306/977/29HeidiHamels_display_image.jpg?1279644172
    before you can actually, you know, ‘sleep’ next to that. For those who don’t know, she’s the blonde.

11. CJ - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Exactly….go on 97.5. That’s what it’s at. Not all that different from what WIP used to be back in the glory days. Until all those ego’s took over the place and turned it into the equalivant of the psych ward at your friendly neighborhood funny farm.

12. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Well, Utley’s wife is no slouch, either…but I guess if the cookies/crackers standard is applied….

13. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:48 PM

And I do believe that there is legal precedent in the Cookies/crackers standard, right Craig?

14. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Well Utley is probably sick of her now anyway. Just remember for every hot woman there is somebody who’s sick of her. Cole’s getting there right about now most likely

15. CJ - Sep 16, 2010 at 3:55 PM

I’d be ok k if Blanton and Kendrick fought it out in a deathmatch. That way only one of them would be in the rotation next year. Those 2 are hard 2 watch.

16. Kiwicricket - Sep 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I can’t sum it up any better than this person commenting on the situation….”When you go 5-0* in the playoffs and turn in one of the greatest, most clutch postseasons of all time, you get a little more slack when you carry your dog in a backpack.
    Many thanks for the link, I will be amused until next Tuesday. Do you think he hears me laughing at him through my computer screen?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4026)