Sep 16, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Dusty Baker has the Reds in first place and headed to the playoffs for the first time since 1995, but the veteran manager seems fed up with fans and media members questioning his decisions.
Francisco Cordero has struggled of late, blowing a pair of saves while allowing six runs in his last four outings, and when asked yesterday about the possibility of Aroldis Chapman replacing Cordero as closer Baker responded:
There were some people who didn’t like the s*** I was doing from the time we started. They didn’t like my lineup. They didn’t like this. They didn’t like whatever the hell they didn’t like. I can’t worry about those people. Those people don’t manage this ball club. Those people don’t understand the psychological dynamics of your ball club. Let’s enjoy what we have instead of thinking about what we don’t have. How about that?
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com called it “a spirited defense” of Cordero, while John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote that the question “set Baker off.” Whatever the case, I don’t necessarily blame Baker for lashing out a bit, because rightly or wrongly he’s received a ton of criticism in recent years and now he’s managing a playoff-bound team that has dramatically out-performed expectations.
With that said, there’s never really anything to gain by essentially calling a segment of the fan base stupid. If they’re as stupid as Baker thinks, it’s not like they’ll say, “You know, he makes an excellent point, let’s focus on being more reasonable and positive going forward.”
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 92
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (92)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)