Sep 16, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Dusty Baker has the Reds in first place and headed to the playoffs for the first time since 1995, but the veteran manager seems fed up with fans and media members questioning his decisions.
Francisco Cordero has struggled of late, blowing a pair of saves while allowing six runs in his last four outings, and when asked yesterday about the possibility of Aroldis Chapman replacing Cordero as closer Baker responded:
There were some people who didn’t like the s*** I was doing from the time we started. They didn’t like my lineup. They didn’t like this. They didn’t like whatever the hell they didn’t like. I can’t worry about those people. Those people don’t manage this ball club. Those people don’t understand the psychological dynamics of your ball club. Let’s enjoy what we have instead of thinking about what we don’t have. How about that?
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com called it “a spirited defense” of Cordero, while John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote that the question “set Baker off.” Whatever the case, I don’t necessarily blame Baker for lashing out a bit, because rightly or wrongly he’s received a ton of criticism in recent years and now he’s managing a playoff-bound team that has dramatically out-performed expectations.
With that said, there’s never really anything to gain by essentially calling a segment of the fan base stupid. If they’re as stupid as Baker thinks, it’s not like they’ll say, “You know, he makes an excellent point, let’s focus on being more reasonable and positive going forward.”
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 29
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 46
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 22
- Jose Abreu is third-fastest in MLB history to reach 30 career home runs 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (200)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (163)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)