Sep 16, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Dusty Baker has the Reds in first place and headed to the playoffs for the first time since 1995, but the veteran manager seems fed up with fans and media members questioning his decisions.
Francisco Cordero has struggled of late, blowing a pair of saves while allowing six runs in his last four outings, and when asked yesterday about the possibility of Aroldis Chapman replacing Cordero as closer Baker responded:
There were some people who didn’t like the s*** I was doing from the time we started. They didn’t like my lineup. They didn’t like this. They didn’t like whatever the hell they didn’t like. I can’t worry about those people. Those people don’t manage this ball club. Those people don’t understand the psychological dynamics of your ball club. Let’s enjoy what we have instead of thinking about what we don’t have. How about that?
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com called it “a spirited defense” of Cordero, while John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer wrote that the question “set Baker off.” Whatever the case, I don’t necessarily blame Baker for lashing out a bit, because rightly or wrongly he’s received a ton of criticism in recent years and now he’s managing a playoff-bound team that has dramatically out-performed expectations.
With that said, there’s never really anything to gain by essentially calling a segment of the fan base stupid. If they’re as stupid as Baker thinks, it’s not like they’ll say, “You know, he makes an excellent point, let’s focus on being more reasonable and positive going forward.”
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)