Sep 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Homer Bailey showed significantly decreased velocity and struggled through three terrible innings last night before leaving his start against Arizona with dizziness.
It wasn’t even mentioned until the seventh paragraph of John Fay’s game story in the Cincinnati Enquirer, but Bailey’s comments afterward sure make it seem like it’s a bigger deal:
I felt a little bit of light-headedness. I had a big headache. I thought my hat might be too tight. How many did I walk? Twenty? I had trouble keeping balance.
According to Fay he was “checked out by the Reds’ medical staff” and told to simply rest, but Bailey tossed eight innings of dominant, shutout ball in his previous start five days earlier and there’s no indication why he experienced “light-headedness” and “a big headache” while having “trouble keeping balance.”
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports (this time in the 10th paragraph of his game story) that Bailey was given Dramamine “to settle his symptoms” after coming out of the game. Hopefully it’s indeed just a one-time thing, because Bailey has pitched well since rejoining the Reds’ rotation a month ago, posting a 3.62 ERA and 31/7 K/BB ratio in 37 innings prior to last night.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)