Sep 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EST
Homer Bailey showed significantly decreased velocity and struggled through three terrible innings last night before leaving his start against Arizona with dizziness.
It wasn’t even mentioned until the seventh paragraph of John Fay’s game story in the Cincinnati Enquirer, but Bailey’s comments afterward sure make it seem like it’s a bigger deal:
I felt a little bit of light-headedness. I had a big headache. I thought my hat might be too tight. How many did I walk? Twenty? I had trouble keeping balance.
According to Fay he was “checked out by the Reds’ medical staff” and told to simply rest, but Bailey tossed eight innings of dominant, shutout ball in his previous start five days earlier and there’s no indication why he experienced “light-headedness” and “a big headache” while having “trouble keeping balance.”
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports (this time in the 10th paragraph of his game story) that Bailey was given Dramamine “to settle his symptoms” after coming out of the game. Hopefully it’s indeed just a one-time thing, because Bailey has pitched well since rejoining the Reds’ rotation a month ago, posting a 3.62 ERA and 31/7 K/BB ratio in 37 innings prior to last night.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 26
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)