Sep 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT
Homer Bailey showed significantly decreased velocity and struggled through three terrible innings last night before leaving his start against Arizona with dizziness.
It wasn’t even mentioned until the seventh paragraph of John Fay’s game story in the Cincinnati Enquirer, but Bailey’s comments afterward sure make it seem like it’s a bigger deal:
I felt a little bit of light-headedness. I had a big headache. I thought my hat might be too tight. How many did I walk? Twenty? I had trouble keeping balance.
According to Fay he was “checked out by the Reds’ medical staff” and told to simply rest, but Bailey tossed eight innings of dominant, shutout ball in his previous start five days earlier and there’s no indication why he experienced “light-headedness” and “a big headache” while having “trouble keeping balance.”
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports (this time in the 10th paragraph of his game story) that Bailey was given Dramamine “to settle his symptoms” after coming out of the game. Hopefully it’s indeed just a one-time thing, because Bailey has pitched well since rejoining the Reds’ rotation a month ago, posting a 3.62 ERA and 31/7 K/BB ratio in 37 innings prior to last night.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)