Homer Bailey left last night's start with "dizziness" and "a big headache"

Sep 16, 2010, 11:18 AM EDT

Homer Bailey showed significantly decreased velocity and struggled through three terrible innings last night before leaving his start against Arizona with dizziness.
It wasn’t even mentioned until the seventh paragraph of John Fay’s game story in the Cincinnati Enquirer, but Bailey’s comments afterward sure make it seem like it’s a bigger deal:

I felt a little bit of light-headedness. I had a big headache. I thought my hat might be too tight. How many did I walk? Twenty? I had trouble keeping balance.

According to Fay he was “checked out by the Reds’ medical staff” and told to simply rest, but Bailey tossed eight innings of dominant, shutout ball in his previous start five days earlier and there’s no indication why he experienced “light-headedness” and “a big headache” while having “trouble keeping balance.”
Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reports (this time in the 10th paragraph of his game story) that Bailey was given Dramamine “to settle his symptoms” after coming out of the game. Hopefully it’s indeed just a one-time thing, because Bailey has pitched well since rejoining the Reds’ rotation a month ago, posting a 3.62 ERA and 31/7 K/BB ratio in 37 innings prior to last night.

1. Omega - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Get thyself to a neurologist, Homer. Err on the side of caution, it doesn’t sound like something a dramamine tab and a bit of rest should take care of.
    Just my two cents.

2. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Could have been a migraine.

3. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Or it could be something much more serious. A friend’s son had a blood clot up there with similar symptoms. But I’m not a doctor.

4. John_Michael - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Aside from the potential serious health concerns…this line is classic:
    I thought my hat might be too tight.
    That normally signals to me that it’s time to get a haircut, but then I always think my hats are too big.
    Good thing this is an Aaron column…Craig couldn’t relate.

5. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Agreed. No reason he shouldn’t get things checked out.

6. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:11 PM

Agreed that I’m not a doctor? Have you been talking to my mother-in-law?

7. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I’m not a doctor, either. But I play one on TV.

8. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:45 PM

Your’re Phil McGraw, aren’t you?

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3336)