Jeter's fake HBP was child's play. Watch the real pros work.

Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT

Derek Jeter kind of sold his fake HBP last night. I mean, yeah, he got the call and I guess that’s the whole point. But he has a long way to go until he can consider himself a master of the genre.

For example, check out this fine work by Yunel Escobar last year. He didn’t merely hop around and grimace. He hit the dirt, baby! If I didn’t know any better I’d say he had taken method acting at the Actor’s Studio and was playing the role of Andre Dawson in his 1987 ball-to-the-face performance.

Or how about this guy?  Sure, he ultimately didn’t get the call and was ejected for trying too hard. But hey, just because Eric Bogosian didn’t win the 1988 Best Actor Oscar for “Talk Radio” doesn’t mean he didn’t act circles around Dustin Hoffman’s embarrassing turn in “Rain Man.” It’s about the quality, not about the politics of awards season!

1. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Jesse Ventura should have won in 1987 for Predator. Blew Hoffman, Bogosian and Cruise off the map.
    “Ain’t got time to bleed…”

2. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Actually, here’s a better baseball-to-face photo. EPIC FAIL.

3. Gobias Industries - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:20 AM

It’s been way too long since I’ve heard a good quip involving Eric Bogosian. Thanks for that.

4. Simon DelMonte - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:41 AM

I have always thought that the real star of Rain Man was Tom Cruise. Hoffman was okay. Cruise was impressive. And up to that point, I was never impressed with a thing Cruise had done.
    Hey, anyone remember the SNL sketch where Rain Man testifies against Pete Rose in the gambling case?

5. John_Michael - Sep 16, 2010 at 11:54 AM

So, in college, at least, they don’t have a problem with Thespians in the locker room.

6. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Was Days Of Thunder before or after Rain Man? Loved that movie.

7. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Laaahooossseeerrrrr……. I really do hate douche bags like that. I hope his mommy punished him for cussing out the ump for nothing.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3071)