Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Derek Jeter kind of sold his fake HBP last night. I mean, yeah, he got the call and I guess that’s the whole point. But he has a long way to go until he can consider himself a master of the genre.
For example, check out this fine work by Yunel Escobar last year. He didn’t merely hop around and grimace. He hit the dirt, baby! If I didn’t know any better I’d say he had taken method acting at the Actor’s Studio and was playing the role of Andre Dawson in his 1987 ball-to-the-face performance.
Or how about this guy? Sure, he ultimately didn’t get the call and was ejected for trying too hard. But hey, just because Eric Bogosian didn’t win the 1988 Best Actor Oscar for “Talk Radio” doesn’t mean he didn’t act circles around Dustin Hoffman’s embarrassing turn in “Rain Man.” It’s about the quality, not about the politics of awards season!
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 32
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 25
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 35
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 71
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 75
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 44
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 220
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)