Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM EST
Derek Jeter kind of sold his fake HBP last night. I mean, yeah, he got the call and I guess that’s the whole point. But he has a long way to go until he can consider himself a master of the genre.
For example, check out this fine work by Yunel Escobar last year. He didn’t merely hop around and grimace. He hit the dirt, baby! If I didn’t know any better I’d say he had taken method acting at the Actor’s Studio and was playing the role of Andre Dawson in his 1987 ball-to-the-face performance.
Or how about this guy? Sure, he ultimately didn’t get the call and was ejected for trying too hard. But hey, just because Eric Bogosian didn’t win the 1988 Best Actor Oscar for “Talk Radio” doesn’t mean he didn’t act circles around Dustin Hoffman’s embarrassing turn in “Rain Man.” It’s about the quality, not about the politics of awards season!
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 46
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)