Sep 16, 2010, 11:04 AM EDT
Derek Jeter kind of sold his fake HBP last night. I mean, yeah, he got the call and I guess that’s the whole point. But he has a long way to go until he can consider himself a master of the genre.
For example, check out this fine work by Yunel Escobar last year. He didn’t merely hop around and grimace. He hit the dirt, baby! If I didn’t know any better I’d say he had taken method acting at the Actor’s Studio and was playing the role of Andre Dawson in his 1987 ball-to-the-face performance.
Or how about this guy? Sure, he ultimately didn’t get the call and was ejected for trying too hard. But hey, just because Eric Bogosian didn’t win the 1988 Best Actor Oscar for “Talk Radio” doesn’t mean he didn’t act circles around Dustin Hoffman’s embarrassing turn in “Rain Man.” It’s about the quality, not about the politics of awards season!
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 10
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 156
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39