Looking back to the last notable phantom HBP: A.J. Pierzynski

Sep 16, 2010, 8:50 AM EST

I had forgotten, but Jonny5 reminded me in the comments that A.J. Pierzynski acted his way on to first base back in April.  I commented on it at the time. The fact that I used it to leap into a pro wrestling digression is evidence that I didn’t think Pierzynski’s act was some awful transgression against man and nature, but I called it “totally weak” and “pretty damn weak.” I called his flopping “bush league theatrics.”

Which it was.  Jeter’s act was pretty damn weak too. Not so weak that it should change our assumptions about him or cause us to read more into it than it was, but it was weak. And funny. As was Pierzynski’s act.

1. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Aren’t we overlooking Jerry Manuel’s impersonation of a manager, not to mention Omar Minaya’s….

2. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I have to say it was weak. Both cases. It just shows Jeter is no better morally than the next guy. I’m not going to get all offended by it any more than I would be at dog who tried to hump my sofa pillow. Sure I don’t like it, but it’s a dog, what are you going to do? I believe my description of AJ fits Jeter. It was kinda “Chumpy” of him. But he had a chance to make something happen by taking the low road, as it would help his team. He took the low road for the team this time. It’s not really a big deal either, I laugh at the people who act as if their favorite superhero just threw a baby off a skyscraper for chuckles. “OH MY GOD, NOT DEREK JETER!! THE HUMANITY!! Sports bring out the best and worst of people and people are far from perfect.

3. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 9:36 AM

All I can say is thank God for the NFL and NASCAR. Otherwise I’d be stuck watching Storm Stories every weekend.

4. adam - Sep 16, 2010 at 10:07 AM

Neither of those two compare to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26axJdDKYWw

The guy actually gets ejected arguing it, now that’s ridiculous.

5. Omega - Sep 16, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Like I said over on the Jeter thread. And will paraphrase rephrase here:
    These guys get paid a lot of money by their teams to get on base.
    If they get on base, by hook or by crook, they are just doing their jobs, good on them.

6. RichardInBigD - Sep 16, 2010 at 12:02 PM

If you don’t have the balls to lean in a little and let the ball brush your jersey, you don’t deserve the base. If you do, different story…

7. doctorfunke - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Wow. That dude has issues. That wasn’t even close!

8. IdahoMariner - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:29 PM

okay, I already thought AJ was a bit of a tool, and I don’t remember him coming clean (maybe he did) or doing it quite so unreservedly as Jeter does. There was something oddly refreshing about it. And I am not a Yankees fan, and I give my cousin endless crap about her Jeter obsession, but I’m okay with it.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester