Nyjer Morgan's suspension is reduced to eight games

Sep 16, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT

So much for my brilliant theory. Nyjer Morgan’s suspension has been reduced from fifteen to eight games.

You’ll recall that Morgan was appealing two separate suspensions: one for throwing a ball into the Citizens Bank Park stands, for which he was docked seven games, and one for the battle royale he set off against the Marlins, which cost him eight games.  Baseball didn’t allocate the days to either incident, however, and made this final suspension a blanket deal.  The more I hear about the Philly incident, however, the more I’m inclined to believe that it was a bit overblown and the seven games was a bit much, so it wouldn’t shock me if most of the reduction came from that sanction.

Either way, the Nats are off today so Morgan starts sitting out tomorrow. They have 16 games left.  He can return on September 25th against the Braves.

1. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:44 PM

No Nyjer at the Bank? Pity. But I guess he has time to get a Yankees cap now.

2. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Basically, it sounds like they punted the suspension for throwing the baseball into the stands.

3. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Basically, it sounds like the Gnats are going to punt him this offseason. Good riddance to the putz. But it’s very difficult for me to imagine him in pinstripes. Broad horizontal stripes, perhaps, but not pinstripes.

4. Utley's hair - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Just a satirical reference to an earlier post.

5. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM

I still like Nyjer. Am I wrong? He was having a bad day. Or something….. Hey, every one of us screws up in the heat of the moment when your Neurons aren’t firing properly. I guess it’s how he seems to give everything he has in him every game. You can’t say that about every ball player.

6. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM

True, most of the others have bile ducts.

7. birdmancometh - Sep 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

No offense, but it would be hilarious if he came back to tear up the Braves.

8. Mr. Heyward - Sep 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM

What’s Putz got to do with it, to do with it? What’s Putz but a secondhand emotion? Who needs a Putz when a Putz can be broken?

9. Mr. Heyward - Sep 16, 2010 at 4:50 PM

that wouldn’t be hilarious at all. i fear humor is lost on you, my friend.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4983)