Orel Hershiser "stood up to the group and told them to knock it off" when teammates harassed female reporter
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jessie Garcia is a female sports reporter and news anchor for the local NBC television affiliate in Milwaukee. In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ines Sainz and the way female media members are treated by athletes, Garcia told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel an interesting story about her experience covering a Brewers-Indians game in the 1990s.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but here’s the excerpt related to baseball:
I had an incident with the Cleveland Indians years ago. They were making cat calls and generally trying to make my life miserable. I was shocked. I had done nothing. I was simply there to get a few interviews before they played the Brewers. Only one player stood up to the group and told them to knock it off. I put his name here–Orel Hershiser–because I am still grateful for a bit of kindness that day.
Hershiser was nicknamed “Bulldog” for his extreme competitiveness as a pitcher, but as a player, a pitching coach, or now as a broadcaster for ESPN he’s definitely always had a “good guy” reputation. It’s nice to hear a behind-the-scenes story of that in action.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)