Orel Hershiser "stood up to the group and told them to knock it off" when teammates harassed female reporter
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM EST
Jessie Garcia is a female sports reporter and news anchor for the local NBC television affiliate in Milwaukee. In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ines Sainz and the way female media members are treated by athletes, Garcia told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel an interesting story about her experience covering a Brewers-Indians game in the 1990s.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but here’s the excerpt related to baseball:
I had an incident with the Cleveland Indians years ago. They were making cat calls and generally trying to make my life miserable. I was shocked. I had done nothing. I was simply there to get a few interviews before they played the Brewers. Only one player stood up to the group and told them to knock it off. I put his name here–Orel Hershiser–because I am still grateful for a bit of kindness that day.
Hershiser was nicknamed “Bulldog” for his extreme competitiveness as a pitcher, but as a player, a pitching coach, or now as a broadcaster for ESPN he’s definitely always had a “good guy” reputation. It’s nice to hear a behind-the-scenes story of that in action.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)