Orel Hershiser "stood up to the group and told them to knock it off" when teammates harassed female reporter
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jessie Garcia is a female sports reporter and news anchor for the local NBC television affiliate in Milwaukee. In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ines Sainz and the way female media members are treated by athletes, Garcia told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel an interesting story about her experience covering a Brewers-Indians game in the 1990s.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but here’s the excerpt related to baseball:
I had an incident with the Cleveland Indians years ago. They were making cat calls and generally trying to make my life miserable. I was shocked. I had done nothing. I was simply there to get a few interviews before they played the Brewers. Only one player stood up to the group and told them to knock it off. I put his name here–Orel Hershiser–because I am still grateful for a bit of kindness that day.
Hershiser was nicknamed “Bulldog” for his extreme competitiveness as a pitcher, but as a player, a pitching coach, or now as a broadcaster for ESPN he’s definitely always had a “good guy” reputation. It’s nice to hear a behind-the-scenes story of that in action.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)