Orel Hershiser "stood up to the group and told them to knock it off" when teammates harassed female reporter
Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT
Jessie Garcia is a female sports reporter and news anchor for the local NBC television affiliate in Milwaukee. In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ines Sainz and the way female media members are treated by athletes, Garcia told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel an interesting story about her experience covering a Brewers-Indians game in the 1990s.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but here’s the excerpt related to baseball:
I had an incident with the Cleveland Indians years ago. They were making cat calls and generally trying to make my life miserable. I was shocked. I had done nothing. I was simply there to get a few interviews before they played the Brewers. Only one player stood up to the group and told them to knock it off. I put his name here–Orel Hershiser–because I am still grateful for a bit of kindness that day.
Hershiser was nicknamed “Bulldog” for his extreme competitiveness as a pitcher, but as a player, a pitching coach, or now as a broadcaster for ESPN he’s definitely always had a “good guy” reputation. It’s nice to hear a behind-the-scenes story of that in action.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)