Orel Hershiser "stood up to the group and told them to knock it off" when teammates harassed female reporter

Sep 16, 2010, 12:45 PM EDT

Jessie Garcia is a female sports reporter and news anchor for the local NBC television affiliate in Milwaukee. In the wake of the controversy surrounding Ines Sainz and the way female media members are treated by athletes, Garcia told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel an interesting story about her experience covering a Brewers-Indians game in the 1990s.
The whole thing is definitely worth reading, but here’s the excerpt related to baseball:

I had an incident with the Cleveland Indians years ago. They were making cat calls and generally trying to make my life miserable. I was shocked. I had done nothing. I was simply there to get a few interviews before they played the Brewers. Only one player stood up to the group and told them to knock it off. I put his name here–Orel Hershiser–because I am still grateful for a bit of kindness that day.

Hershiser was nicknamed “Bulldog” for his extreme competitiveness as a pitcher, but as a player, a pitching coach, or now as a broadcaster for ESPN he’s definitely always had a “good guy” reputation. It’s nice to hear a behind-the-scenes story of that in action.

1. BC - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:01 PM

He definitely has a good-guy reputation, but apparently he can be a bad-a$$ at times.

2. minnesconsin_ad - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:07 PM

ahh, orhel. my childhood baseball mitt was a brown leather louisville slugger w/ orel’s signature and list of his crazy 1988 stats and awards. i’m a grown man with an almost-4-yr-old son now, but I still play catch with that mitt.

3. Philip P - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:25 PM

My favourite Dodger to this day.

4. Florida727 - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Even though I’m guessing this’ll generate some derisive comments, I’ll go ahead and say I’m not surprised at all that Orel would do what’s right. He’s a believer in Jesus Christ, and his actions have always outshone whatever he accomplished as an athlete. Praise the Lord that people like him are in prominent positions to be an example of what’s right, and how to treat people.

5. UnsatisfiedMind - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Hershiser’s biography, Out of the Blue, published in 1989, is a nice read for anyone who didn’t have the pleasure of being a fan of his 20+ years ago.

6. slicknick - Sep 16, 2010 at 1:46 PM

I remember his dominant days as a Dodger and always thought of him as a class act. This is coming from a Giants fan , one of the very few players I’ll admit admiring wearing Dodger blue. Actually maybe the only Dodger player I can admit ever admiring .Go Giants, take the NL west!

7. klbader - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:05 PM

My favorite story I have heard about him is that he was getting heckled by some fans and one of the fans yells, “What kind of a name is ‘Orel’?” He responded “A World Series MVP’s name.” That is how you put a heckler in his place.

8. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM

I don’t think you’ll catch much derision for singling out a sincere Christian who puts his faith to work on a daily basis, quietly and without blowhard sanctimony, bombast or xenophobic bigotry. Hershiser seems to have read and taken to heart Isaiah 30:15 – “In quietness and confidence shall be your strength.” Hard to imagine that anyone would have any issues with that.

9. RichardInBigD - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I used to work as a security guard at the Ballpark in Arlington. On the rare occasions when I was assigned clubhouse duty or some othe area where team personnel would congregate, it was very cool to be in the presence of these guys you’ve known for ever. The rule was, you weren’t really supposed to address these guys unless there was a need to, or if they addressed you first. Of all the possible opportunities, only three members of the Rangers staff ever just said something to be nice, or polite (it was 2004, so do the research to see who DIDN’T). They were: OF Brian Jordan, pitching coach Orel Hershiser and perpetual DL inhabitant and future Rangers Hall of Famer Thurman “Rusty” Greer.

10. akula51 - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:33 PM

I believe that’s spelled Sigma – Phi – Epsilon…:)

11. Jonny5 - Sep 16, 2010 at 2:50 PM

It’s nice to know there are still good guys around. Even if they’re all old like Orel is.

12. mikeg - Sep 16, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Orel did not receive the nick name Bulldog by being an extreme competitor. Tommy Lasorda thought he was too nice and kind hearted to be a big league pitcher. To put Orel in the right state of mind, Lasorda gave him the nick name Bulldog. He wanted orel to compete like a Bulldog. It worked.

13. birdmancometh - Sep 16, 2010 at 3:29 PM

Way to drop some knowledge on these kids keg-man.

14. FrankZappa - Sep 16, 2010 at 4:24 PM

be that as it may…i still hate him; i lived for the 1988 Mets and he ruined it

15. Omega - Sep 16, 2010 at 4:25 PM

This tidbit doesn’t suprise me a bit, I have never heard an unkind word about Hershiser. Well, maybe from the guys he used to smoke on a regular basis at the plate. But away from the diamond, nothing but a proper gentleman and all around ‘good guy’.

16. Old Gator - Sep 16, 2010 at 5:21 PM

You have a short memory. David Cone’s big mouth – “little league team” indeed – is what ruined it. He should have just shut up and played. Instead, he shot the bums full of piss n’ vinegar. Way to go, Laredo Kid.

17. Son of Shane Mack - Sep 16, 2010 at 5:34 PM

Ahh.. I forgot about that. It makes me love him even more.

18. nps6724 - Sep 16, 2010 at 6:17 PM

During the Cards-Braves game on Sunday Night Baseball last week, he said how much respect he and the Indians had for Bobby Cox that after the game, they went to their clubhouse to congratulate them on the World Series win. I have no doubt Orel had something to do with that.

19. Gobias Industries - Sep 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM

I always suspected that Herbert Perry was a rude sonofabitch. Now it’s been confirmed.

20. baldyboy - Sep 16, 2010 at 8:19 PM

A few year ago I took my son who has cerebral palsy to the Little League World Series. We go every year and sit in the wheel chair section right behind the kids dugout. Out of the blue one of the guys working for the TV crew handed a ball to my son. Guess who autographed the ball. He noticed Evan from way up in the broadcast booth during the game and still had the time to send an autographed ball down to my kid. I still get choked up today thinking about how nice some people can be. Thanks, Orel. I think you will be in the most important Hall of Fame for sure.

21. Bull Durham - Sep 17, 2010 at 10:10 AM