Sep 16, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT
The Marlins and Mariners are set to play an interleague series next year, and Florida is supposed to the home team. But thanks to U2’s tour — man, Bono ruins everything, at least since “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” — Pro Player Robbie Sun Life Stadipark will be occupied. Options:
- Play in Puerto Rico: Pro: there will still be plenty of humidty! Con: Hiram Bithorn stadium isn’t exactly ideal as a major league facility anymore — one Mets writer said that parts of the clubhouse ceiling were falling in during the Mets-Marlins series there this year.
- Play in Vancouver: Pro: Sure, it’s closer to home for the Mariners than the Marlins, but both teams are set to head back west after their series anyway, so maybe this makes travel easier. Con: the dome in Vancouver — which I had not realized was built to attract a major league team until I read the linked article — is undergoing renovations and the existing minor league ballpark only holds 7,000. The Marlins are used to that, but the Mariners may not like it.
- Play in Seattle: Pro: It’s a major league ballpark. Con: This takes a home series away from the Marlins. Pro: it was good enough for the Blue Jays and Phillies this season, so it’s not unprecedented.
My guess is that they just play in Seattle. Because really: if you cut Loria a check of sufficient size he’d sign off on anything
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)