Sep 16, 2010, 2:33 PM EDT
The Marlins and Mariners are set to play an interleague series next year, and Florida is supposed to the home team. But thanks to U2’s tour — man, Bono ruins everything, at least since “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” — Pro Player Robbie Sun Life Stadipark will be occupied. Options:
- Play in Puerto Rico: Pro: there will still be plenty of humidty! Con: Hiram Bithorn stadium isn’t exactly ideal as a major league facility anymore — one Mets writer said that parts of the clubhouse ceiling were falling in during the Mets-Marlins series there this year.
- Play in Vancouver: Pro: Sure, it’s closer to home for the Mariners than the Marlins, but both teams are set to head back west after their series anyway, so maybe this makes travel easier. Con: the dome in Vancouver — which I had not realized was built to attract a major league team until I read the linked article — is undergoing renovations and the existing minor league ballpark only holds 7,000. The Marlins are used to that, but the Mariners may not like it.
- Play in Seattle: Pro: It’s a major league ballpark. Con: This takes a home series away from the Marlins. Pro: it was good enough for the Blue Jays and Phillies this season, so it’s not unprecedented.
My guess is that they just play in Seattle. Because really: if you cut Loria a check of sufficient size he’d sign off on anything
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)