Sep 16, 2010, 1:16 PM EDT
Hideki Matsui hit a triple last night for the first time since April of last season and Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register writes that it may have cost Torii Hunter a whole bunch of money.
According to Plunkett the two players “had a friendly wager” on whether Matsui and his arthritic knees could leg out a triple this season, and “the wager was definitely not for any amount of money like, oh, $5,000.”
In other words, it was for $5,000. Here’s what Hunter had to say afterward:
I was like, “What the …? Ah, hell no.” I’m not talking to Matsui anymore. I saw him running the bases. He was making all kinds of faces, trying to get me. I didn’t realize it was a triple until I got to the dugout then everybody let me know.
Matsui ought to go double or nothing on Hunter hitting a triple. Hunter has zero in 135 games after hitting just one in 119 games last season.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17