Sep 17, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
In this morning’s recaps I expressed surprise that the Mets four-game sweep of the Pirates was the first time they had swept a four-game series in four years. Reader The Dangerous Mabry tells me that I shouldn’t have been so shocked:
The four game sweep thing only seems like a meaningful stat. The mighty New York Yankees, who win a hell of a lot of baseball games, have swept exactly one four-game series in the past four seasons. Same as the (seemingly) lowly Mets. Given the relative scarcity of four game sets, as well as the overall winning percentage of baseball teams and the variance in starting pitching quality, it’s not that surprising. But
it sure does sound bad.
UPDATE: Many readers have pointed out that the fact about the Yankees is simply false — they swept the A’s in a four-gamer just two weeks ago. My laziness for letting that by is pretty inexcusable, really.
But yeah, the fact that there aren’t a ton of four-game series anymore is something that should have occurred to me when I wrote that. That’s what I get for punting the writeups until the morning they publish rather than getting a jump-start on them the evening before. Less time to, you know, think.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (190)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (112)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)