Sep 17, 2010, 11:02 AM EDT
In this morning’s recaps I expressed surprise that the Mets four-game sweep of the Pirates was the first time they had swept a four-game series in four years. Reader The Dangerous Mabry tells me that I shouldn’t have been so shocked:
The four game sweep thing only seems like a meaningful stat. The mighty New York Yankees, who win a hell of a lot of baseball games, have swept exactly one four-game series in the past four seasons. Same as the (seemingly) lowly Mets. Given the relative scarcity of four game sets, as well as the overall winning percentage of baseball teams and the variance in starting pitching quality, it’s not that surprising. But
it sure does sound bad.
UPDATE: Many readers have pointed out that the fact about the Yankees is simply false — they swept the A’s in a four-gamer just two weeks ago. My laziness for letting that by is pretty inexcusable, really.
But yeah, the fact that there aren’t a ton of four-game series anymore is something that should have occurred to me when I wrote that. That’s what I get for punting the writeups until the morning they publish rather than getting a jump-start on them the evening before. Less time to, you know, think.
- Video: Jake Arrieta strikes out Chase Utley to complete his no-hitter 3
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 19
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 9
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 55
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)