Bryce Harper is excited to play ball. Maybe a bit too excited.

Sep 17, 2010, 5:00 PM EDT

Bryce Harper has suited up for the instructional league and was asked if he’s ready to play:

“I am going to dive and scratch and claw. I will try to catch every ball
out there. I am going to be a Kelly Leak kind of guy. I will use my arm
to the fullest. I will try to back pick guys like I have. My game is
not going to change. I am going to give 120 percent and have a little
bit of fun.”

I assume by the “Kelly Leak kind of guy” that he means he’s going to smoke cigarettes, ride a Harley and develop a crush on the team’s ace starting pitcher.

1. klbader - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Is it too early for me to find Bryce Harper insufferable?

2. Philip P - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Is he going to catch or will he begin playing the outfield? I remember some talk that the Nats would not keep him at catcher.

3. geoknows - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM

Strasburg’s already off his game.

4. minnesconsin_ad - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:14 PM

my distaste for this guy was born the second I saw a photo of his ridiculous face-black job. the kid just calls way too much attention to himself. he’s the anti-mauer

5. JBerardi - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:16 PM

I love that he’s going to give 120 percent. Well, shit, why not 121% then?

6. lar @ wezen-ball - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:22 PM

Personally, I find it refreshing to see someone give more than the traditional 110%. Shows me he’s trying harder.

7. klbader - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:42 PM

I can’t wait for the day when athletes are finally out there giving infinity-plus-one percent!

8. GP - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Not at all. I would, however, like to know who smashed his face flat with a frying pan right before that picture was taken. Doesn’t seem like a nice thing to do. ;-)

9. skipperxc - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I was all set to hate this guy, but it’s nice to see a high-priced pick excited to get playing and show some effort. Hopefully getting in the games will mature him in a hurry.

10. bob72745 - Sep 17, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I live in Vegas, where he is from, and he is considered here to be an incredible asshole. I saw him play several times this year, and he can’t hit lefthanders, a good fastball, or a curveball. He has BUST written all over him.

11. bob72745 - Sep 17, 2010 at 9:26 PM

You hit the nail on the head, minnesconsin, but if you think the face-black was bad, you should have seen his ritual before every at-bat. He’d stride to the batter’s box, drop his bat in it, bend over and grab a handful of dirt and wash his hands in it, as if to say, “Check me out,” pick up his bat and tap the plate on various corners in some kind of superstitious sequence, and then take his batting stance. I saw him play several time this year and could not believe that no one knocked him on his ass after all of this BS.

12. bob72745 - Sep 17, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Yeah, and it also looks like he took too many foul tips to the nose without his catcher’s mask on behind the plate.

13. Gobias Industries - Sep 18, 2010 at 12:12 AM

“I assume by the “Kelly Leak kind of guy” that he means he’s going to…develop a crush on the team’s ace starting pitcher. I guess that would make things interesting in Washington, but it might throw Strasburg off his game.” Craig, in your post about the kiss cam on Thursday, didn’t you complain about “mocking homosexuals” and “lame gay jokes.” Wasn’t that a “lame gay joke” you just made?

14. John_Michael - Sep 18, 2010 at 8:11 AM

When I go pro, I’m going to announce that I’ll give 99% at all times, reserving the last 1% for when I need to be clutch.

15. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Next you’ll be asking him to go to eleven.

16. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:29 PM

Awww, he’s just a kid. He’ll be just fine if they up his Ritalin to 10mg.

Three legends off to Cooperstown