Sep 17, 2010, 10:15 AM EDT
Erick Aybar was scratched from last night’s lineup with a “left leg strain,” but told Bill Plunkett of the Orange County Register that the Angels’ training staff fears he may have a sports hernia.
Aybar initially suffered the injury last week and has remained in the lineup since, but aggravated the injury while attempting to make a diving play defensively Wednesday and is scheduled to undergo an MRI exam today.
Aybar has taken a big step backward following a career-year last season, losing 58 points on his batting average and 137 points on his OPS after hitting .312/.353/.423 as a 25-year-old.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)