Sep 17, 2010, 3:45 PM EST
Gordon Beckham was out of the White Sox’s lineup yesterday and Ozzie Guillen indicated that he may opt to shut him down for the season rather than let him try to continue playing through a hand injury:
Obviously he wants to play, but I’ve seen this kid swing the bat for a year and a half and I know his hand is not even 80 percent. He’s wasting at-bats. He’s not 100 percent out there to try to help us, and that’s why I shut it down for a couple of days to see how the treatment gets him back. The problem with that is you feel good one day then one swing it comes back again.
Unfortunately for Beckham the hand injury has ruined what was shaping up to be a very nice turnaround following a slow start to the season. He hit just .209 with a measly .561 OPS through the end of June, but then batted .331 with a .941 OPS in July and August before struggling through the hand problems this month.
Beckham’s overall numbers are ugly, with a .252/.317/.378 line representing a drop in production of about 20 percent from his strong rookie campaign, but he showed enough to think that a bounceback season is on tap for 2011 if healthy.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)