Sep 17, 2010, 3:45 PM EDT
Gordon Beckham was out of the White Sox’s lineup yesterday and Ozzie Guillen indicated that he may opt to shut him down for the season rather than let him try to continue playing through a hand injury:
Obviously he wants to play, but I’ve seen this kid swing the bat for a year and a half and I know his hand is not even 80 percent. He’s wasting at-bats. He’s not 100 percent out there to try to help us, and that’s why I shut it down for a couple of days to see how the treatment gets him back. The problem with that is you feel good one day then one swing it comes back again.
Unfortunately for Beckham the hand injury has ruined what was shaping up to be a very nice turnaround following a slow start to the season. He hit just .209 with a measly .561 OPS through the end of June, but then batted .331 with a .941 OPS in July and August before struggling through the hand problems this month.
Beckham’s overall numbers are ugly, with a .252/.317/.378 line representing a drop in production of about 20 percent from his strong rookie campaign, but he showed enough to think that a bounceback season is on tap for 2011 if healthy.
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)