Jack Clark says the Cardinals "are quitters" and "have poopy in their pants"

Sep 17, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT

Jack Clark, who played three seasons for the Cardinals in the 1980s and was the MVP of the World Series squad in 1987, appeared on a St. Louis radio station yesterday and accused the current team of being “quitters” who “have poopy in their pants.”
Seriously.
Here are some quotes from the four-time All-Star first baseman nicknamed “Jack the Ripper”:

I’m really tired of watching the effort, that’s for sure. I’m not seeing a lack of [effort] I’m seeing a pathetic effort. These Cards fans deserve much better. That’s just awful. They won’t admit it, that they’re quitters. If you can’t put a better effort out there on the field, take ‘em all out, back up the truck, ship ‘em all out and get somebody in here that wants to play baseball. We’ve got one team here [San Diego] going for the title and we’ve got our team going for the toilet. They’ve got poopy in their pants.

For the sake of comedy I’m hesitant to be too critical of any grown man who goes on the radio and utters the phrase “they’ve got poopy in their pants” but the idea that teams have “quit” simply because they’re struggling and underachieving seems a little much. And if you’re going to accuse players of quitting on the team and putting forth “a pathetic effort” shouldn’t you at least have the courage to actually name names?
Which players have quit? Which players have put forth the pathetic effort? Lumping the entire team together means nothing, because clearly some players haven’t quit on anything. Albert Pujols hit .379 with 11 homers and a 1.230 OPS in August, but the Cardinals had an 11-15 record for the month. He’s hit .303/.380/.615 with 18 homers in the second half overall, but the Cardinals are 28-29 since the All-Star break. Obviously he didn’t quit or put forth a pathetic effort, yet he can’t single-handedly stop the team from struggling.
Matt Holliday has hit .324/.396/.545 in the second half. Guys like Yadier Molina and Skip Schumaker have posted better post-break numbers than their career marks. Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, Jaime Garcia, and Jake Westbrook all have an ERA under 3.50 in the second half. Have those guys quit? Are those guys to blame for the second-half struggles and a disappointing season? Seems to me that would be a pretty tough argument to make, so why lump them in as “quitters”?
It’s also worth noting that Clark made headlines earlier this year for opining that Mark McGwire should be banned from baseball for steroid usage, saying: “He’s a sad excuse for a player. Just seeing him in uniform makes me throw up.” Clark also accused Tony La Russa of looking the other way when he was managing McGwire in Oakland and St. Louis.
UPDATE: La Russa fires back.

1. BC - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:02 PM

That’s phenomenal.

2. Wooden U Lykteneau - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Jack – This is Boston. We remember 1992. Do you?

3. isdtyrant - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Breaking: Roger Clemens accuses Andy Pettitte’s pants of being on fire.

4. Gobias Industries - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:19 PM

In the Cardinals defense, nobody likes to play baseball with poopy pants. I’d quit too.

5. Mrsteve - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Coming from the quitter who sat on the bench watching the Twins win the 87 world series

6. kevinapps - Sep 17, 2010 at 2:53 PM

Here I thought they were losing because of things like:
    1) Jon Jay coming back to Earth after they traded Ludwick and entrusted him with the job, and
    2) Pedro Feliz not being anywhere near as good as David Freese.
    They only had 5 hitters in the lineup all season, then they trade one and another gets hurt. So now it’s Pujols, Holliday, Rasmus, and 5 guys that would fit in on the Pirates.

7. birdmancometh - Sep 17, 2010 at 3:16 PM

Poopy Pants. Wow, thats fun. I like to say it, type it, shout it. Just said it aloud at work. Awesome.

8. birdmancometh - Sep 17, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Also, I’m sure Jack appreciates the uni-brow gap-toothed pic you chose of him. A man that looks like that photo saying poopy pants. Gold.

9. Jonny5 - Sep 17, 2010 at 3:27 PM

I love calling people poopy pants. And I’m almost a grown man (my wife says I’m not until I sell my BMX bike, which isn’t going to happen until I can’t hop curbs or do endos anymore). With the team they have, and the top notch players still putting up top notch numbers. Tony Larussa has poopy in his pants, and it’s giving him a rash. The team is having problems imo because of Tony. I don’t like him, and I enjoy blaming him almost as much as I like calling him Mr. Poopy pants. You would think a city with such nice and respectful fans would have a skipper who could fit that bill as well…

10. HP3 - Sep 17, 2010 at 3:46 PM

Jack Clark is just jealous of McGwire because he doesn’t have a cushy job as a major league batting coach like McGwire does. Clark is also mad that nobody has ever noticed what a warm human being he is; always has nice things to say about people. Ol’ Jack couldn’t even get along with Tony Gwynn, for Pete’s sake.

11. YANKEES1996 - Sep 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I submit that Jack Clark has poopy in his pants, what a loser!

12. Omega - Sep 17, 2010 at 5:55 PM

I nominate this for the Baseball Quote of the 2010 season….just classic stuff here.
    poopy hee hee

13. The Ol Goaler - Sep 17, 2010 at 6:19 PM

No, the Cardinals have tanked this season because they’ve been forced to run out lineups that include the likes of Pedro Feliz, Felipe Lopez, and Aaron Miles far too often… Once one gets past Pujols/Holliday/Rasmus, there are entirely too many sub-100 OPS+ players in the lineup!

14. Lou Stools - Sep 18, 2010 at 8:56 AM

That’s ridiculous. Everybody knows it’s the Cubs who have the poopy pants, not the Cardinals.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey