Sep 17, 2010, 12:03 PM EDT
The L.A. Times’ Dylan Hernandez reports that Joe Torre has “said he has decided what he’ll do next year,” and that he has told his wife and Dodgers’ GM Ned Colletti. He’s just not telling the public what it is yet.
Query: did Torre have an open invitation to come back that would allow him to simply decide to do so if he wanted to? His contract is up. The Dodgers have looked pretty awful, with many, many underachieving players this season. Is the decision to return — if that is his decision — really up to him and him alone? Not trying to start a “fire Joe Torre” thing here, but there are reasons other than Joe Torre’s personal wishes for him to not be back in blue next season, aren’t there?
So, if this was a decision he made alone it would, by definition, be that he’s retiring, no?
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 37
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 25
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 9
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)