Sep 17, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times is reporting that Joe Torre is going to announce today that he’s stepping down. That’s not terribly surprising. What is surprising is that the team is going to announce Don Mattingly as his successor.
Surprising in that, as the season has gotten uglier and uglier for the Dodgers, the chatter has increasingly been about Tim Wallach — the Dodgers’ AAA manager — not, Mattingly, taking over. Part of this is because Mattingly has been around an underachieving and uninspired team. Part of it has been because of a few gaffes that he has made while filling in for Torre. A lot of it is that Mattingly is Torre’s protege, and many people thought the team wants to go in a different direction. Helps that Wallach has gotten good reviews for the work he has done in Albuquerque, too.
But it’s Mattingly. A man who many thought would one day manage in New York, but who came west when Torre was forced out (or however you want to characterize it) as the Yankees’ skipper.
Donnie Baseball: the spotlight is yours.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)