Sep 17, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times is reporting that Joe Torre is going to announce today that he’s stepping down. That’s not terribly surprising. What is surprising is that the team is going to announce Don Mattingly as his successor.
Surprising in that, as the season has gotten uglier and uglier for the Dodgers, the chatter has increasingly been about Tim Wallach — the Dodgers’ AAA manager — not, Mattingly, taking over. Part of this is because Mattingly has been around an underachieving and uninspired team. Part of it has been because of a few gaffes that he has made while filling in for Torre. A lot of it is that Mattingly is Torre’s protege, and many people thought the team wants to go in a different direction. Helps that Wallach has gotten good reviews for the work he has done in Albuquerque, too.
But it’s Mattingly. A man who many thought would one day manage in New York, but who came west when Torre was forced out (or however you want to characterize it) as the Yankees’ skipper.
Donnie Baseball: the spotlight is yours.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)