Sep 17, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times is reporting that Joe Torre is going to announce today that he’s stepping down. That’s not terribly surprising. What is surprising is that the team is going to announce Don Mattingly as his successor.
Surprising in that, as the season has gotten uglier and uglier for the Dodgers, the chatter has increasingly been about Tim Wallach — the Dodgers’ AAA manager — not, Mattingly, taking over. Part of this is because Mattingly has been around an underachieving and uninspired team. Part of it has been because of a few gaffes that he has made while filling in for Torre. A lot of it is that Mattingly is Torre’s protege, and many people thought the team wants to go in a different direction. Helps that Wallach has gotten good reviews for the work he has done in Albuquerque, too.
But it’s Mattingly. A man who many thought would one day manage in New York, but who came west when Torre was forced out (or however you want to characterize it) as the Yankees’ skipper.
Donnie Baseball: the spotlight is yours.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)