Sep 17, 2010, 11:47 AM EDT
Luis Castillo has one year and $6 million left on his contract, but told Mike Puma of the New York Post that he doesn’t expect to be back with the Mets next season after losing his starting job at second base to 20-year-old rookie Ruben Tejada.
I feel this offseason they can work out something. I need to play. This has been a tough year for me. I got hurt and I came back and played a couple of games and then I saw the moves they were doing, letting the young guys play. Maybe 20 more days here and I’ll be prepared to work out for next season. I want to see if I can get a chance to play next year because I’m going to be a free agent after that and I want to have a good year and put up good numbers.
Castillo told Puma that he came to the conclusion that he’s done in New York after talking to the front office about his status, which while no doubt true may not mean a whole lot if the current front office isn’t actually in charge in a month. Of course, regardless of who’s running the Mets after this season they’ll probably be interested in unloading Castillo.
As was the case last offseason, if the Mets want to move Castillo they’ll have to either eat a large portion of his remaining salary or swap him for another undesirable contract.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)