Sep 17, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
Doug Fernandes of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune has some advice for Joe Maddon and the Rays when they face the Yankees next week:
Joe Maddon has an answer for everything, so I’m sure the
Tampa Bay skipper doesn’t need any advice on how to handle the fallout
However . . .
This one time, an exception will be made. If I were Maddon, I’d have
Matt Garza deliver the pitch heard ’round the Bronx, and felt in the
general rib-cage area of Derek Cheater, eh, Jeter.
Darn straight. Monday night at Yankee Stadium, the start of the
four-game rematch between two teams with another reason to amp up the
dislike, I’m ordering Garza, the scheduled Rays’ starter, to plunk the
New York shortstop the first time he comes to the plate.
Nothing too injurious, certainly nothing around Jeter’s head. But a
fastball buried somewhere in his side, according to baseball’s unwritten
code, is in order.
Then, as Jeter shakes off the pain–which I hope is considerable–and
trots to first, Garza, normally a fiery sort anyway, needs to shout
something to the effect of “that base you deserve.”
Wouldn’t that be fun?
If, outside of the sports world, someone suggested a course of action with the purpose of inflicting “considerable pain” on a person and then called it “fun,” that person would be considered a sociopath or worse. But this is baseball, so it’s perfectly acceptable. Oy.
Stepping off my hitting-players-on-purpose-is-lunacy soap box, I’ll note that it’s stupid for another reason too: Derek Jeter ain’t hittin’ all that well these days, so plunking him in the ribs and awarding him first base is to do him a favor.
Other than that . . .
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 43
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 34
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 61
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (221)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (75)