Sep 17, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
Doug Fernandes of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune has some advice for Joe Maddon and the Rays when they face the Yankees next week:
Joe Maddon has an answer for everything, so I’m sure the
Tampa Bay skipper doesn’t need any advice on how to handle the fallout
However . . .
This one time, an exception will be made. If I were Maddon, I’d have
Matt Garza deliver the pitch heard ’round the Bronx, and felt in the
general rib-cage area of Derek Cheater, eh, Jeter.
Darn straight. Monday night at Yankee Stadium, the start of the
four-game rematch between two teams with another reason to amp up the
dislike, I’m ordering Garza, the scheduled Rays’ starter, to plunk the
New York shortstop the first time he comes to the plate.
Nothing too injurious, certainly nothing around Jeter’s head. But a
fastball buried somewhere in his side, according to baseball’s unwritten
code, is in order.
Then, as Jeter shakes off the pain–which I hope is considerable–and
trots to first, Garza, normally a fiery sort anyway, needs to shout
something to the effect of “that base you deserve.”
Wouldn’t that be fun?
If, outside of the sports world, someone suggested a course of action with the purpose of inflicting “considerable pain” on a person and then called it “fun,” that person would be considered a sociopath or worse. But this is baseball, so it’s perfectly acceptable. Oy.
Stepping off my hitting-players-on-purpose-is-lunacy soap box, I’ll note that it’s stupid for another reason too: Derek Jeter ain’t hittin’ all that well these days, so plunking him in the ribs and awarding him first base is to do him a favor.
Other than that . . .
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 12
- The Lester trade is a win-win 100
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 158
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 91
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (156)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (121)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)