Sep 17, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
Doug Fernandes of the Sarasota Herald-Tribune has some advice for Joe Maddon and the Rays when they face the Yankees next week:
Joe Maddon has an answer for everything, so I’m sure the
Tampa Bay skipper doesn’t need any advice on how to handle the fallout
However . . .
This one time, an exception will be made. If I were Maddon, I’d have
Matt Garza deliver the pitch heard ’round the Bronx, and felt in the
general rib-cage area of Derek Cheater, eh, Jeter.
Darn straight. Monday night at Yankee Stadium, the start of the
four-game rematch between two teams with another reason to amp up the
dislike, I’m ordering Garza, the scheduled Rays’ starter, to plunk the
New York shortstop the first time he comes to the plate.
Nothing too injurious, certainly nothing around Jeter’s head. But a
fastball buried somewhere in his side, according to baseball’s unwritten
code, is in order.
Then, as Jeter shakes off the pain–which I hope is considerable–and
trots to first, Garza, normally a fiery sort anyway, needs to shout
something to the effect of “that base you deserve.”
Wouldn’t that be fun?
If, outside of the sports world, someone suggested a course of action with the purpose of inflicting “considerable pain” on a person and then called it “fun,” that person would be considered a sociopath or worse. But this is baseball, so it’s perfectly acceptable. Oy.
Stepping off my hitting-players-on-purpose-is-lunacy soap box, I’ll note that it’s stupid for another reason too: Derek Jeter ain’t hittin’ all that well these days, so plunking him in the ribs and awarding him first base is to do him a favor.
Other than that . . .
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 22
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 78
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 53
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)