Sep 17, 2010, 11:19 AM EST
Now that the White Sox’s playoff hopes have vanished they can begin looking forward to next season and general manager Ken Williams said yesterday that Chris Sale will get an opportunity to claim a rotation spot out of spring training.
Sale breezed through the minors after being drafted 13th overall in June, moving to the bullpen and reaching the majors just three months after finishing his career at Florida Gulf Coast College.
He’s been nearly unhittable as a reliever with a 1.10 ERA, .179 opponents’ batting average, and 21 strikeouts in 16.1 innings, but Sale was a starter in college and Williams made it clear that the White Sox would smartly like to give him a chance to contribute for 200 innings a season before locking him into a 60-inning role.
Sale’s odds of being in the Opening Day rotation could hinge on Jake Peavy’s recovery from shoulder surgery and Williams indicated to Scott Merkin of MLB.com that the White Sox may still look to limit Sale’s workload by shifting him back to the bullpen at some point in 2011.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)