Sep 18, 2010, 3:18 PM EST
In a must-read story from the Washington Post, Adam Kilgore tells us about Drew Storen’s plans to return to Stanford University this fall in order to pursue his degree in product design.
Storen was selected with the No. 10 overall pick after completing his sophomore season last June. The 23-year-old is currently six quarters away from earning his degree and has every intention of reaching his goal.
“I’ve grown up a lot in the past year,” Storen said Tuesday, sitting in
the Turner Field dugout in Atlanta. “I feel like I’m going back to high
school or something – kind of go back to that different attitude. It’ll
be fun. It’s going to be great. I really enjoy the Bay Area. I really
enjoy being in school. A lot of my best friends from college are there.
Why not go back and chip away at my education?”
“Playing baseball is like playing with house money, almost. If it works
out and I don’t have to work a day in my life, that’s great. If not,
then I fall back on a Stanford education.”
It’s easy to forget this — especially when we are talking about multi-million dollar athletes — but Kilgore cites a study from the Wall Street Journal last year which found only that 26 players and managers on major league
rosters – or 3.3 percent – had graduated from a four-year college.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)