Sep 18, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
In a must-read story from the Washington Post, Adam Kilgore tells us about Drew Storen’s plans to return to Stanford University this fall in order to pursue his degree in product design.
Storen was selected with the No. 10 overall pick after completing his sophomore season last June. The 23-year-old is currently six quarters away from earning his degree and has every intention of reaching his goal.
“I’ve grown up a lot in the past year,” Storen said Tuesday, sitting in
the Turner Field dugout in Atlanta. “I feel like I’m going back to high
school or something – kind of go back to that different attitude. It’ll
be fun. It’s going to be great. I really enjoy the Bay Area. I really
enjoy being in school. A lot of my best friends from college are there.
Why not go back and chip away at my education?”
“Playing baseball is like playing with house money, almost. If it works
out and I don’t have to work a day in my life, that’s great. If not,
then I fall back on a Stanford education.”
It’s easy to forget this — especially when we are talking about multi-million dollar athletes — but Kilgore cites a study from the Wall Street Journal last year which found only that 26 players and managers on major league
rosters – or 3.3 percent – had graduated from a four-year college.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)