Sep 18, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT
In a must-read story from the Washington Post, Adam Kilgore tells us about Drew Storen’s plans to return to Stanford University this fall in order to pursue his degree in product design.
Storen was selected with the No. 10 overall pick after completing his sophomore season last June. The 23-year-old is currently six quarters away from earning his degree and has every intention of reaching his goal.
“I’ve grown up a lot in the past year,” Storen said Tuesday, sitting in
the Turner Field dugout in Atlanta. “I feel like I’m going back to high
school or something – kind of go back to that different attitude. It’ll
be fun. It’s going to be great. I really enjoy the Bay Area. I really
enjoy being in school. A lot of my best friends from college are there.
Why not go back and chip away at my education?”
“Playing baseball is like playing with house money, almost. If it works
out and I don’t have to work a day in my life, that’s great. If not,
then I fall back on a Stanford education.”
It’s easy to forget this — especially when we are talking about multi-million dollar athletes — but Kilgore cites a study from the Wall Street Journal last year which found only that 26 players and managers on major league
rosters – or 3.3 percent – had graduated from a four-year college.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)