Drew Storen has some important offseason plans

Sep 18, 2010, 3:18 PM EDT

In a must-read story from the Washington Post, Adam Kilgore tells us about Drew Storen’s plans to return to Stanford University this fall in order to pursue his degree in product design.

Storen was selected with the No. 10 overall pick after completing his sophomore season last June. The 23-year-old is currently six quarters away from earning his degree and has every intention of reaching his goal.

“I’ve grown up a lot in the past year,” Storen said Tuesday, sitting in
the Turner Field dugout in Atlanta. “I feel like I’m going back to high
school or something – kind of go back to that different attitude. It’ll
be fun. It’s going to be great. I really enjoy the Bay Area. I really
enjoy being in school. A lot of my best friends from college are there.
Why not go back and chip away at my education?”

“Playing baseball is like playing with house money, almost. If it works
out and I don’t have to work a day in my life, that’s great. If not,
then I fall back on a Stanford education.”

It’s easy to forget this — especially when we are talking about multi-million dollar athletes — but Kilgore cites a study from the Wall Street Journal last year which found only that 26 players and managers on major league
rosters – or 3.3 percent – had graduated from a four-year college.

1. Kevin S. - Sep 18, 2010 at 3:51 PM

With all due respect to the educational process, we really overemphasize the importance of a college degree for high-level professional athletes. College is essentially a way to maximize lifetime earning potential. For somebody of major-league caliber, it just isn’t that necessary. Now, I do like it when players negotiate into their contracts clauses for teams to pick up their tuition if they go back to school, since many, many players who go pro don’t wind up setting themselves up financial, but there’s really no pressing need for somebody like Drew Storen to complete his degree. He’s got it backwards – baseball isn’t his security blanket, college is his backup plan.

2. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM

I agree. He’d be better off winding up rich, shallow, probably a typical right-wing knucklehead oblivious to all the remarkable things about the world and the universe at large he would be exposed to in college and fated to spend his life being manipulated by people who bothered to learn how their language worked on their brains because he never bothered to learn how himself. Why trouble himself with new interests, fascinating new vistas and horizons? Go through life with a surfeit bank account and an empty skull. Thet that is the key to happiness. Now pardon me, I gotta go watch Glenn Beck.

3. Kevin S. - Sep 18, 2010 at 6:16 PM

One hardly needs a college education to avoid being a knuckle-dragger, and that kind of pseudo-intellectual elitism really is uncalled for. I rather doubt six more terms at Stanford is going to change him from a Republican to a Democrat. Further, my point was not that returning to college is a bad thing, but rather that bemoaning the lack of college degrees among major leaguers is worth anyone’s time. For the most part, these guys aren’t going to become engineers or philosophers or historians once they graduate, and they don’t need the degree to get them into the door.

4. Old Gator - Sep 18, 2010 at 6:31 PM

It wasn’t my intent to turn him from a Republican into a Democrat. It was to keep him from becoming a Republican in the first place, if possible. But to turn him into a Democrat? That would be a lot of energy expended transforming someone from one sort of idiot into another sort, wouldn’t it? Times are tough and we need to conserve energy any way we can. Anyway, there’s nothing “pseudo” about my elitism. It is solidly grounded in delusions of superiority.

5. John_Michael - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:00 AM

Finished it while waiting for a pot roast to finish.
    To be honest, I was really rooting for Glanton’s dog.

6. Old Gator - Sep 19, 2010 at 12:40 AM

Even eaten bear steak? It’s pretty good, really, and you can soak it in milk for a day or two to get the gaminess out of it. Best of all, I know where you can get about three hundred pounds of it cheap.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2533)