Sep 18, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was given a rare double-dose of cortisone injections on Wednesday of this week in the area of his sore ribcage. It hasn’t helped.
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, the injured MVP candidate felt the same Saturday as he did on Wednesday and is not optimistic about his chances of returning before the end of September.
“Obviously the best-case scenario is getting back and getting a good
last week of the regular season … get some at-bats,” said Hamilton. “At the moment, I
don’t see that happening.”
Right now, this isn’t a major issue. The Rangers are up 9.5 games over the A’s in the American League West and Hamilton has already turned in a season worthy of baseball’s greatest awards. But if the lingering rib soreness affects his readiness for the postseason — which it most likely will — Texas’ starting lineup won’t be nearly as frightening in a five- or seven-game setting.
Hamtilon, 29, has posted a major league-leading .361 batting average, 31 home runs and 97 RBI in 507 at-bats this season while showing excellent range in center field.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 2
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)