Sep 18, 2010, 9:52 PM EDT
Rangers outfielder Josh Hamilton was given a rare double-dose of cortisone injections on Wednesday of this week in the area of his sore ribcage. It hasn’t helped.
According to MLB.com’s T.R. Sullivan, the injured MVP candidate felt the same Saturday as he did on Wednesday and is not optimistic about his chances of returning before the end of September.
“Obviously the best-case scenario is getting back and getting a good
last week of the regular season … get some at-bats,” said Hamilton. “At the moment, I
don’t see that happening.”
Right now, this isn’t a major issue. The Rangers are up 9.5 games over the A’s in the American League West and Hamilton has already turned in a season worthy of baseball’s greatest awards. But if the lingering rib soreness affects his readiness for the postseason — which it most likely will — Texas’ starting lineup won’t be nearly as frightening in a five- or seven-game setting.
Hamtilon, 29, has posted a major league-leading .361 batting average, 31 home runs and 97 RBI in 507 at-bats this season while showing excellent range in center field.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 18
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (121)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights