Sep 18, 2010, 10:48 PM EDT
If Cardinals fans disliked Johnny Cueto before, they’re going to really despise the guy now.
Cardinals backup catcher Jason LaRue told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday that he is done playing professional baseball due to a concussion suffered in early August when Cueto kicked him multiple times in the head.
“I’m done,” LaRue said. “It’s a simple decision.”
LaRue is still dealing with random bouts of headaches and nausea and said he gets a feeling much like seasickness when watching television or riding in a car. He wasn’t able to cook for himself, either, even a month after the kicks.
The 36-year-old will finish up with a .231/.315/.396 career batting line, accomplished over 11-plus professional seasons. He hit .196 this year with two homers and five RBI in 55 at-bats as Yadier Molina’s backup.
LaRue considered taking legal action against Cueto in the weeks after the on-field assault but has since dropped that idea. We’re thinking the Reds may want to limit Cueto’s exposure to the Busch Stadium crowd for a while. A long while.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa — an almost overly loyal backer of the guys he likes, and he liked LaRue — is most definitely steaming about tonight’s news.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)