Sep 18, 2010, 10:48 PM EST
If Cardinals fans disliked Johnny Cueto before, they’re going to really despise the guy now.
Cardinals backup catcher Jason LaRue told Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch on Saturday that he is done playing professional baseball due to a concussion suffered in early August when Cueto kicked him multiple times in the head.
“I’m done,” LaRue said. “It’s a simple decision.”
LaRue is still dealing with random bouts of headaches and nausea and said he gets a feeling much like seasickness when watching television or riding in a car. He wasn’t able to cook for himself, either, even a month after the kicks.
The 36-year-old will finish up with a .231/.315/.396 career batting line, accomplished over 11-plus professional seasons. He hit .196 this year with two homers and five RBI in 55 at-bats as Yadier Molina’s backup.
LaRue considered taking legal action against Cueto in the weeks after the on-field assault but has since dropped that idea. We’re thinking the Reds may want to limit Cueto’s exposure to the Busch Stadium crowd for a while. A long while.
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa — an almost overly loyal backer of the guys he likes, and he liked LaRue — is most definitely steaming about tonight’s news.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)