Sep 18, 2010, 4:31 PM EST
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Nick Swisher is back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter for tonight’s game against the Orioles.
Swisher has made two appearances as a pinch-hitter this week, including last night, however he hasn’t started a game since last Saturday due to recurring soreness in his left knee. He received a cortisone shot in the knee on Tuesday and an MRI revealed only inflammation.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Friday that Swisher still wasn’t 100 percent running the bases, so it makes plenty of sense to ease him back into the lineup as the DH until he is ready to play the outfield again.
Swisher, 29, is batting .287/.360/.514 with 26 homers, 82 RBI and an 874 OPS this season.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 137
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 31
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (147)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)