Sep 18, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Nick Swisher is back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter for tonight’s game against the Orioles.
Swisher has made two appearances as a pinch-hitter this week, including last night, however he hasn’t started a game since last Saturday due to recurring soreness in his left knee. He received a cortisone shot in the knee on Tuesday and an MRI revealed only inflammation.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Friday that Swisher still wasn’t 100 percent running the bases, so it makes plenty of sense to ease him back into the lineup as the DH until he is ready to play the outfield again.
Swisher, 29, is batting .287/.360/.514 with 26 homers, 82 RBI and an 874 OPS this season.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 31
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 22
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)