Sep 18, 2010, 4:31 PM EDT
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Nick Swisher is back in the starting lineup as the designated hitter for tonight’s game against the Orioles.
Swisher has made two appearances as a pinch-hitter this week, including last night, however he hasn’t started a game since last Saturday due to recurring soreness in his left knee. He received a cortisone shot in the knee on Tuesday and an MRI revealed only inflammation.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi said Friday that Swisher still wasn’t 100 percent running the bases, so it makes plenty of sense to ease him back into the lineup as the DH until he is ready to play the outfield again.
Swisher, 29, is batting .287/.360/.514 with 26 homers, 82 RBI and an 874 OPS this season.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 6
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 25
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)