Sep 18, 2010, 5:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Arrieta tells Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he is tentatively scheduled to have the bone spur removed on Wednesday. It’s a relatively minor procedure that isn’t expected to have any impact on his availability for next season.
5:15 PM: According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that rookie right-hander Jake Arrieta has been shut down for the rest of the season as a precaution.
Arrieta was “a little tight” after his last start on Tuesday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, which prompted an MRI earlier today. The exam revealed a bone spur in Arrieta’s right elbow, though the Orioles have known about it for quite some time now. It’s always possible that he could undergo a procedure in order to have it removed, but the team hasn’t announced any plans to so.
Arrieta wraps up his rookie season at 6-6 with a 4.66 ERA and a 52/46 K/BB over 18 starts. The 24-year-old right-hander has amassed 173 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this season, 22 1/3 more than his previous career-high between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk last season, so he was pretty close to being shut down anyway. He’ll enter spring training next season with a legitimate shot to make the starting rotation.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 61
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 58
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)