Sep 18, 2010, 5:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Arrieta tells Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he is tentatively scheduled to have the bone spur removed on Wednesday. It’s a relatively minor procedure that isn’t expected to have any impact on his availability for next season.
5:15 PM: According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that rookie right-hander Jake Arrieta has been shut down for the rest of the season as a precaution.
Arrieta was “a little tight” after his last start on Tuesday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, which prompted an MRI earlier today. The exam revealed a bone spur in Arrieta’s right elbow, though the Orioles have known about it for quite some time now. It’s always possible that he could undergo a procedure in order to have it removed, but the team hasn’t announced any plans to so.
Arrieta wraps up his rookie season at 6-6 with a 4.66 ERA and a 52/46 K/BB over 18 starts. The 24-year-old right-hander has amassed 173 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this season, 22 1/3 more than his previous career-high between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk last season, so he was pretty close to being shut down anyway. He’ll enter spring training next season with a legitimate shot to make the starting rotation.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)