Sep 18, 2010, 5:52 PM EST
UPDATE: Arrieta tells Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he is tentatively scheduled to have the bone spur removed on Wednesday. It’s a relatively minor procedure that isn’t expected to have any impact on his availability for next season.
5:15 PM: According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that rookie right-hander Jake Arrieta has been shut down for the rest of the season as a precaution.
Arrieta was “a little tight” after his last start on Tuesday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, which prompted an MRI earlier today. The exam revealed a bone spur in Arrieta’s right elbow, though the Orioles have known about it for quite some time now. It’s always possible that he could undergo a procedure in order to have it removed, but the team hasn’t announced any plans to so.
Arrieta wraps up his rookie season at 6-6 with a 4.66 ERA and a 52/46 K/BB over 18 starts. The 24-year-old right-hander has amassed 173 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this season, 22 1/3 more than his previous career-high between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk last season, so he was pretty close to being shut down anyway. He’ll enter spring training next season with a legitimate shot to make the starting rotation.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)