Sep 18, 2010, 5:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Arrieta tells Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com that he is tentatively scheduled to have the bone spur removed on Wednesday. It’s a relatively minor procedure that isn’t expected to have any impact on his availability for next season.
5:15 PM: According to Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun, Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that rookie right-hander Jake Arrieta has been shut down for the rest of the season as a precaution.
Arrieta was “a little tight” after his last start on Tuesday, according to Brittany Ghiroli of MLB.com, which prompted an MRI earlier today. The exam revealed a bone spur in Arrieta’s right elbow, though the Orioles have known about it for quite some time now. It’s always possible that he could undergo a procedure in order to have it removed, but the team hasn’t announced any plans to so.
Arrieta wraps up his rookie season at 6-6 with a 4.66 ERA and a 52/46 K/BB over 18 starts. The 24-year-old right-hander has amassed 173 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this season, 22 1/3 more than his previous career-high between Double-A Bowie and Triple-A Norfolk last season, so he was pretty close to being shut down anyway. He’ll enter spring training next season with a legitimate shot to make the starting rotation.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)